Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HI_IM_THIBBY
Helper I
Helper I

How to Implement Row Level Security with Azure Data Lake

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this question but I have struggled to find documentation anywhere on how exactly to set up RLS when connected to Azure Data Lake. Is the syntax used exactly the same as what's used in on-premises dataset PBI files?

For example, below would be an example of a role we have set up within our on-prem:

[EmployeeName] = LOOKUPVALUE('EmployeeTable'[EmployeeName], 'EmployeeTable'[EmailAddress], USERPRINCIPALNAME())

This RLS DAX code is what's used within our RLS for Azure but business users are stating that they're able to see everything, not data specific to them as intended.

Are there extra settings that need to be performed within the PBI service to ensure the security filtering is activated? Or anything else that needs to be done beforehand?

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You have to ensure that your underlying dataset is able to correctly show data based on a logged in user.

As far as I am aware Azure Data Lake is not capable of doing this?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hello,

Thank you for the response. This is what I can see, which shows me there must be some kind of RLS possible with Azure but it's not actively filtering the data based on the user's login. Lookin gat the syntax this would work in an on-premises PBI model, so I wanted to know what the difference is. The below is an example of an employee's RLS. 

HI_IM_THIBBY_0-1593438585708.png

Is your example use Azure Analysis Services?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors