Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MTTony
Frequent Visitor

Export Data not working for some users - no file produced

I have a simple dashboard published to the PBI Service. I have a handful of users that, when they attempt to download data using the "Export Data" function the "Successful export" message is displayed but no file is produced.

Export DataExport DataMTTony_0-1675985015155.png

-I've had other users with the same permission levels successfully download via this method so I don't think is a settings issues.
-One user who could not download w/Chrome was able to download w/MS Edge
-The other user could not download w/Chrome or Edge.

-Chrome is the default browser so while using Edge is workaround, its not a long term solution
-I'm confident that it’s not a case of a misplaced download as Chrome will normally display the download on the bottom of the window and the file was not showing in the download history.
-I tried having the users clear cookies & browsing history but that didn’t resolve the issue.
-I watched what the users were doing via a screen share so I don’t think its user error.
I cannot figure this one out.

UPDATE: 

I think I've discovered the variable causing the issue but I'm still not sure why its acting the way it is.  It has to do with the path the user is taking to get to the dashboard.  I have a dashboard that provides a summary view of data embedded in a website - because you cannot download underlying data from an embedded dashboard, I added a link to the dashboard (using a button) that takes the user to a "detail view" on the PBI service.

When a user accesses the "detail view" dashboard on the PBI service by linking from the embedded dashboard they are unable to download the underlying data (even I'm unable to download as the dashboard owner).  If I take the exact same URL and paste it directly into my browser, there are no issues downloading.  I created a hyperlink to the “detail view” dashboard from QuickBase just to try a different application and there were no issues downloading.  Same with a hyperlink from SharePoint.  This issue seems to only occur if I access that detail view using the hyperlink in the embedded dashboard.  Any other way I access the “detail view” dashboard I don’t have that download issue

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @MTTony ,

This might sound odd, but I had a person that would get a message like that but the browser has a setting that didn't let it download from "other domains" and I saw one time where the browser was set to 'exclude downloads from everything but these types' and didn't give an error message.  Since the one person CAN do it in one browser but not the other I am thinking it is the browser settings.  One other stray thought - do they have their default "download location" set to something other than "Downloads" ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks @collinq -

I think I've discovered the variable causing the issue but I'm still not sure why its acting the way it is.  It has to do with the path the user is taking to get to the dashboard.  I have a dashboard that provides a summary view of data embedded in a website - because you cannot download underlying data from an embedded dashboard, I added a link to the dashboard (using a button) that takes the user to a "detail view" on the PBI service.

When a user accesses the "detail view" dashboard on the PBI service by linking from the embedded dashboard they are unable to download the underlying data (even I'm unable to download as the dashboard owner).  If I take the exact same URL and paste it directly into my browser, there are no issues downloading.  I created a hyperlink to the “detail view” dashboard from QuickBase just to try a different application and there were no issues downloading.  Same with a hyperlink from SharePoint.  This issue seems to only occur if I access that detail view using the hyperlink in the embedded dashboard.  Any other way I access the “detail view” dashboard I don’t have that download issue.

Hi @MTTony ,

I found this other forum entry and @MAwwad had a good answer:

Re: Data export feature from embeded dashboards - Microsoft Power BI Community

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors