Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KilJhard
Frequent Visitor

Easy Question: File Location

Hey everyone,

I've been slowly learning Power BI off and on over the past couple of months and the company I work for is finalizing the final steps to have Power BI 365 added to my profile to start creating reports/dashboards for my department.  I'll be the first in the company, in Canada to have access to it which means there is no internal support and I'll be going through the whole process blind, which I'm excited for! 😄

My only question right now is the data we'll be using to create the reports/dashboards and where to best save it.  I have my own one drive but obviously if I leave the team, or the company then they'll lose access and have to start all over again.  I also recently built a SharePoint site for our department/Canada and was suggested to just save it there in the documents folder but I'm sure in one of the many courses I've taken it was advised against it as it'll read slower the larger the data/file becomes.

So I guess the question is, would it make sense to just have a dedicated one drive for the file(s) so everyone who will need to, can update it and access it, or is SharePoint a perfectly viable place to put the data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Put it in SharePoint. That is OneDrive for Business as well. It is a universal locaition that security can be controlled by site membership (or Teams membership - Teams sits on top of SharePoint), Power Query can easily access it, and people leaving and being hired have no effect on it. It is also a cloud location so no on prem gateway is necessary.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Put it in SharePoint. That is OneDrive for Business as well. It is a universal locaition that security can be controlled by site membership (or Teams membership - Teams sits on top of SharePoint), Power Query can easily access it, and people leaving and being hired have no effect on it. It is also a cloud location so no on prem gateway is necessary.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thanks!  I didn't know that about SharePoint so that just made my life so much easier!  Really looking forward to working with Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors