Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

singhv2
Helper I
Helper I

Connect a Peoplesoft "Query" (From Oracle Database) with Power BI

Hi Folks,

I am working on some regular ETL task and hence looking forward to adapt POWER BI capability(which is much more powerful).

Situation :

For some task, we fetch report through a Peoplesoft query, however, every time the row count goes beyond 65000 rows, some asian characters automatically changes to "?" in excel, and ultimately I fall into a situation of extracting multiple reports with <=65000 rows, which is a pain. Now after getting the access of POWER BI,  I thought to connect our PSOFT Oracle Database with Power BI,(which I did successfully), however, getting the data in POWER BI is again taking a lot of time, alomost tending to infinity.

I want to know, can we in any case use the queries created in PSOFT directly to get the data in power BI. The reason is simple, that it's refined and filtered, and contains only data that we need.

Else let me know, if someone has some other suggestions. 

I'll really appreciate your kind support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Yuliana,

Instead of writing a SQL query (which might help, however, will take time as there is a lot of data to extract), we can use Direct Query, which connects the live data very quickly, instead of importing it. (I didn't know it earlier 🙂

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Vikrant Singh

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @singhv2,

Currently, Power BI doesn't support connection to PeopleSoft Query. Here is a similar idea, you can click to vote it up.

You said directly connecting to Oracle Database with Power BI takes too long time, you could write Oracle query to filter corresponding records when creating connection.

1.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Great.. 🙂 I'll try doing it and get back to you, in case of any issues 🙂

Hi @singhv2,

Have you worked it out? If yes, would you please kindly accept the helpful reply as a solution or share your valid solution? If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana,

Somehow, the SQL query method is not working, and I am getting some sort of error. I'll share the screenshot with you.

Hi @singhv2,

What is the error message? Can you run the same query successfully in Oracle Database?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi Yuliana,

Instead of writing a SQL query (which might help, however, will take time as there is a lot of data to extract), we can use Direct Query, which connects the live data very quickly, instead of importing it. (I didn't know it earlier 🙂

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Vikrant Singh

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors