Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StevePBI
Frequent Visitor

Can I run a query to quantify the memory footprint of a published Power BI report?

I want to identify datasets on our Premium capacity (P2)  that are at risk of failing, because they are getting too large for the capacity. 

In the Power BI Premium "Capacity Metrics App it is possible to view the size of a Power BI "artifact" (dataset) relative to the "Dataset Refresh Limit" (see yellow line in screenshot below).  Based on this Guy in a Cube video, I am assuming artifact size vs dataset refresh limit is a good ratio to assess the risk of a Power BI refresh failing (Or to pre-emptively identify datasets that need optimizing). 

Limitations of the Capacity Metrics app, incude:

•  Metrics aren't shown in real time
  • You need to manually investigate each Power BI report to view the artifiact metrics. 
  • you can't set up alerts.

Therefore, my question is, is there an alternative way to run a query to obtain the memory/RAM  consumption of a published Power BI report? 

I have read this post that suggests running a Dynamic Management View (DMV)  query in DAX studio against a Desktop PBIX file can return the size of columns and tables.  Such as   

SELECT dimension_name AS tablename,
attribute_name AS columnname,
datatype,(dictionary_size/1024) AS size_kb
FROM $system.discover_storage_table_columns

I can also run this same DMV against the XMLA endpoint (Tabular Server), but I am unclear if this would provide  the "True" memory footprint / artifiact size  of the Power BI dataset  in the Service. For example both the memory/RAM usage linked to the

• the dataset refresh 
  • users interacting with the report  (Temp tables being produced by the execution of DAX queries etc.) 

Can anyone advise if  there is a way to run a query to obtain the memory/RAM  consumption of a published Power BI report? 

Thanks in Advance

Screenshot from Premium Capacity ap showing artifact size 

StevePBI_0-1680754292712.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The DMV is the best you can do at the moment. BUT- keep in mind that compression plays a role too and the memory usage in the capacity can and will be different from the dataset file size.

Check the eviction stats. Also - there is a newfangled grey UI bar (black font on grey background, yay!!!)  that indicates if a dataset is becoming too large for the capacity.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The DMV is the best you can do at the moment. BUT- keep in mind that compression plays a role too and the memory usage in the capacity can and will be different from the dataset file size.

Check the eviction stats. Also - there is a newfangled grey UI bar (black font on grey background, yay!!!)  that indicates if a dataset is becoming too large for the capacity.

Thanks @lbendlin . Yes, it apears the DMV only provides a partial picture of the total memory usage. I was looking to replicate the equivalent view that the capacity metrics app produces.  It seems the Capacity app  provides the same view of RAM & CPU usage in the  Power BI Service, that the Task Manager  produces on the desktop.  When you say "eviction stats" do you mean the "Evidence" Tab  in the Capacity Metrics App (see below)?

StevePBI_0-1681186138409.png

No, I mean evictions. When a dataset gets kicked out of memory to make space for another one.

hi @lbendlin,
i'm traying to qunatify the evictions within my capacity / workspaces. you've mention earlier the eviction stats. where can i find them? the prev version on premium capacity app has the eviction tracking, the latest version, however, seems to miss that info.

also scanned throught the logs in log analytics for any kind of eviction info with no sucess to date. any ideas how to retrieve that info?

I don't think evictions are a valid concept in Fabric any more. Now it's all CUs, overages and burndowns.

Is it though? I can still find in ms docs the following:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-large-models#semantic-model-ev...

It does indicate that if my model gets evicted and that will happen, according to my understanding, when it is inactive for some time or to make space for other sematic models, then:

If you have to wait for an evicted semantic model to be reloaded, you might experience a noticeable delay.

Yep, that would make sense. However there is no place in the new Fabric Capacity Metrics app where evictions ( or memory) are mentioned. Only Compute and (Fabric) Storage 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors