Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CarlosAlcestes

export data from power bi visuals to excel automatically

How can I export data from power bi visuals to excel automatically?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlosAlcestes ,

You can create a Power Automate flow to export visual data automatically by clicking the flow button.

vyingjl_0-1638256307792.png

Please refer this viedo which introduces it step by step:

Power BI export to excel and csv with Power Automate 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
AndrewKuharich
Regular Visitor

Is that true? Scheduling an automated export without 'human intervention' requires a Premium/Capacity license?

shaher12
Frequent Visitor

If i want to export the power bi data to excel by using power automated but save the excel file in local not in OneDrive or SharePoint .Is it possible?

Just sync your one drive or sharepoint folder with your computer and it will be local as well as online

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlosAlcestes ,

You can create a Power Automate flow to export visual data automatically by clicking the flow button.

vyingjl_0-1638256307792.png

Please refer this viedo which introduces it step by step:

Power BI export to excel and csv with Power Automate 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

bBI
Frequent Visitor

@v-yingjl wrote:

It's not really an automatic export if it requires pressing a button, is it?

How would one export the data from a table without the button press (e.g. every evening at 8pm)?

Check out my responses in this thread. I do my data pull on a schedule via Power Automate, no manual intervention. It's been some time but that's what I have been doing and the process has been stable.

Here:
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/export-data-from-power-bi-visuals-to-excel-aut...
and here:
https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Query/export-data-from-power-bi-visuals-to-excel-aut...

Hello, i have done everything step by step but my button, does nothing when i click on it (basically it not act like a button), do you have any ideea of what i did wrong? Thank you

cristianj_1-1671636927167.png

i understand this exports to excel with a click of a button. i am interested in exporting automatically, i.e. setting it up so it is exported and saved every day at a given time without any human intervention. is there a way to do that?

Yes it can be done. I'm not well versed in this. I am doing this with a table. Not sure what other visuals it works with. I also think you need to be a dataset owner. These are the steps I take.

1. Power automate scheduled flow (define your timing)
  2. PowerBI connector, run a query against a dataset. Identify your workspace and dataset. For the query, I'll explain below.
  3. Create CSV table. From = first table rows
  4. Current time
  5. SharePoint Create File. I name my file with currenttime.csv. File content is output

To get the query, I go to PowerBI Desktop > navigate to the page/visual > View > performance analyzer > start recording > refresh visuals > let it run > stop. Select your visual of interest and expand. Copy the dax code. This is what goes back into the query box in #2.

Could you tell me how to do the same but to generate an Excel document from several tables of a visual, not only from one table?

Hi! Again disclaimer that I am not 100% well versed in the steps. You may need to watch a couple Power Automate videos to finish off the steps. Here are some ideas that could work:

If you can live with a CSV output with each run, then you could grow the Power Automate flow executing 3x "run a query against a dataset", once for each table. Then assign a naming convention+timestamp and drop the CSVs into the destination of your choice.

The trouble I've had with creating an excel file specifically is Power Automate wants an already established table to fill in your content. You could make excel files with tables ahead of time, and include a timestamp column. Then put your content into that table and include the timestamp so you can track it all. 

I got tired of parsing CSVs, so I've since moved to SharePoint lists. I am doing mostly the same thing, but the catch is I need to have all of my columns defined ahead of time. SharePoint Lists are also great to pull into PowerBI reports so I've been doing this as much as possible.

I added a new step after the query: Parse JSON. The parse is super helpful to already sort my content into columns. Then I retrieve my SharePoint List (Get Items) and Create Item, looping through everything I pulled. The parse JSON is going to want an example payload, which I know nothing about. So what I do is, run the query database flow, and copy the output of that. Paste it into the example payload for Parsone JSON and it should figure itself out! 🙂

John01
Frequent Visitor

any chance you've got a screenshot of your Power Automate flow to see how you've set up each step in the flow? i'm a bit new to flows unfortunately ...

Enable the filters/other options for each chart its appear only in the edit mode is there any way to make it appear in the reading view or in power bi app12354.png

Great, You saved my day.

How can I trigger the "Power BI data" variable without creating a button inside of PowerBI. I want to use Power Automate to grab a specific visual and make it a variable, then drop it into Teams without having to write a whole app to do it. 

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

The best way is to publish your Power BI Dataset, build a paginated report with the data you want, publish that and subscribe to it at the desired frequency.  Use a unique string in the subject line so you can use it to trigger a Flow that stores the file somewhere (e.g., SharePoint library).

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

can you expand on this more what unique string do we need

But only with a Premium subscription and capacity, which is $$$$/mo. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors