Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ACC_Entwickler1
Regular Visitor

Problem with comparisson

Hi folks,

I want to compare strings from columns from two tables.

If the same string exists in both tables I want to output 1 if not 0.

I created a new column in Table Diti with the function:

if [Zusammengefügt] = Timesheet_std[Zusammengefügt2] then 1 else 0

The syntax is fine, but I get 0 for all entries even for the ones which exist in both columns.

Which lead me to the concluison, that maybe the linking of my tables (Diti and Timesheet_std), which are connected through the columns Zusammengefügt and Zusammengefügt2 is not working properly. But when I go into the visuals, everything works fine both tables update if I filter them by something, so the connection should work.

Which leads to my concluison, that the power query function I wrote has a mistake in it, which I wasn't able to find.

If anyone can suggest a solution or a diffrent approach to solve this problem - I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance

Philipp

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ACC_Entwickler1 ,

If case-sensitive, try:

= if List.Contains(#"Timesheet_std"[Zusammengefügt2],[Zusammengefügt]) then 1 else 0

Otherwise:

if List.Contains(List.Transform(#"Timesheet_std"[Zusammengefügt2], each Text.Upper(_)), Text.Upper([Zusammengefügt])) then 1 else 0

vcgaomsft_0-1675061923312.png

vcgaomsft_1-1675061985370.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

adudani
Super User
Super User

hi @ACC_Entwickler1 ,

if you are comparing strings, ensure they are the same format ( clean, trim and upper might help, else use Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn for case insensitive comparisons).

if this doesn't work,

please provide the pbix / same input and output data removing sensitive information if possible.

thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!
If my response(s) assisted you in any way, don't forget to drop me a Kudos 🙂
Kind Regards,
Avinash

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors