Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AldoSaucedo
Frequent Visitor

Use row-level security with Power BI embedded content

Hi All,

I'm trying to embed Power BI reports in a Web Application and I'm following this tutorials 

Embed a Power BI report for your customers    

Use Row-Level Security with Power BI embedded

and using the base code from Github sample App Owns Data Sample

My Power BI Reports are connected to an Azure Analysis Service Model and there I have some roles created to test the

Row-Level Security.

I'm trying to pass a test username from the app to the AAS Model in order to restrtric the data they can see based on the Roles created. Here's my code:

var rls = new EffectiveIdentity("guest@contoso.com", new List<string> { report.DatasetId }, null, "guest@contoso.com");
if (!string.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(roles))
{
   var rolesList = new List<string>();
   rolesList.AddRange(roles.Split(','));
   rls.Roles = rolesList;
}
// Generate Embed Token with effective identities.
generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "view", identities: new List<EffectiveIdentity> { rls });

But I get this error when trying to see the embedded report:

"Creating embed token for accessing dataset xxxxxxxxxxx requries effective identity username to be identical to the caller's principal name"

If I pass the caller's principal username the report obviusly works ok., but I want to pass another username to test 

Row-Level security. As you can see I'm also passing a value to CUSTOMDATA() property, which is being used in a DAX for one of my roles but my data is not being filtered correctly

Capture.PNG

Does anyone have and Idea on what could be happening or if I missing something?

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AldoSaucedo,

1. Is it a live connection?

>>>The CustomData feature will only work for models that reside in Azure Analysis Services, and it only works in live mode. 

2. Does it have same format with "DimFacilitySecurity[UserName]"?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-jiascu-msft,

1 - Yes, is a live connection.

2 - if you mean DimFacilitySecurity[UserName] has the same format as CustomData(), the answeer is yes

DimFaciltySecurity table

FacilityKey       FacilityName         UserName
1                      Master Forms      guest@contoso.com

Regards,

@AldoSaucedo  did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue.

I finally got this resolved and posted my solution on my question thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.