Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MattStannett
Frequent Visitor

How to configure UPN mapping/CustomData for Azure Analysis Services and PowerBI Embedded

Similar to this question.

I have a .Net Core Web App that embeds a PowerBI report, this report needs has Row Level Security applied at the data level in **Azure Analysis Services** using an on-premises data gateway.

I have configured the `EffectiveIdentity` to pass through the UPN using the `CustomData` option, I have also setup a role and DAX query on the role to filter the rows.

I have also setup the SQL Server Profiler as per this post and can confirm that the values being set inside `CustomData` are being passed through to Analysis services.

In the non-Azure version of Analysis Services, you can configure the data gateway inside the PowerBI web portal to map usernames. Since someone else setup the gateway (in Azure), and Azure Analysis Services is not a supported Data Source Type (not an option in the dropdown).

I need to know if it is possible to view/change the Effective User names/CustomData setting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MattStannett
Frequent Visitor

So I finally figured this out, as far as I can tell UPN mapping is enabled by default.

In my specific case I ended up using the `CustomData` option as per the docs. Initially this wasn't behaving as expected because on my Azure Analysis Services Database I had two row filters, one on the main data table that was comparing the user's email against the `USERPRINCIPAL()` DAX function, then the filter that I added against the user table comparing the user's email against `CUSTOMDATA()` DAX function.

To get this to work I ended up removing my own filter against the user table and replacing the use of the `USERPRINCIPAL()` function in the initial filter with `CUSTOMDATA()` - I verified this change with our BI guy and he was happy with it.

I hope this saves someone else the trouble I had.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MattStannett
Frequent Visitor

So I finally figured this out, as far as I can tell UPN mapping is enabled by default.

In my specific case I ended up using the `CustomData` option as per the docs. Initially this wasn't behaving as expected because on my Azure Analysis Services Database I had two row filters, one on the main data table that was comparing the user's email against the `USERPRINCIPAL()` DAX function, then the filter that I added against the user table comparing the user's email against `CUSTOMDATA()` DAX function.

To get this to work I ended up removing my own filter against the user table and replacing the use of the `USERPRINCIPAL()` function in the initial filter with `CUSTOMDATA()` - I verified this change with our BI guy and he was happy with it.

I hope this saves someone else the trouble I had.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.