Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

travbum
Advocate I
Advocate I

Visualization can't remove Time from Date

I've split a column in to two parts, "CreatedDate" and "CreatedDate_TimeOnly". When I go to chart the "CreatedDate" it's still giving me times for the data. How do I remove this? 

dates and times.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

This looks like formatting only. Go to the data view and change the format of the date column to exclude the time format

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @travbum,

You should be able to change the data type of "CreatedDate" column to Date type and format it under Modeling tab by first clicking the column within your fields.Smiley Happy

ct1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Faiza_Fatima

I am facing the same issue

imocean
Frequent Visitor

I took an alternative way - in my Line Chart visual I selected Month and Day as hierarchy, then selected 'flatten all level' for the chart. I then got it displayed in month-date in X axis. Users can always drill up to get to monthly trend too. Hope this helps in some way. 

image.pngimage.png

DanielM80
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue but the format change didnt fix it. Any ideas?

@DanielM80 Did you change the Data Type or just the Format?

both, but i figured it out last night. The x-axis was set to continious not to category... 

Thanks!

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I was losing my mind over here

thanks you made my day!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Fixed my issue after changing from Continuous to Category.

DanielM80
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same problem but after changing the format the time remains. any ideas?
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @travbum,

You should be able to change the data type of "CreatedDate" column to Date type and format it under Modeling tab by first clicking the column within your fields.Smiley Happy

ct1.PNG

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft  Hi, I have the same problem. The date is formatted as you say but the visual Measure still gives me the time.

ScreenHunter_196.jpgScreenHunter_195.jpg

When the data range is small (say only 2-3 days), the x-axis tries to be smart so it auto adjusts and inserts time as well. This happens even if the date columns is formated as date only. To solve this, consider switching to categorical (but then dates with no data will not be displayed, thus I do not recommend), or set custom start and end values on the axis.

I am having that same issue. Did you ever get this resolved?

Thanks 

This looks like formatting only. Go to the data view and change the format of the date column to exclude the time format

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Changing the data type format from 'DateTime' to 'Date' under the data model view worked.
Thank you!

I've tried everything, changing the type format in formatting, changing the data type and I don't want to change the x-axis to Category. How can I solve this?

If changing the data type/format doesn't resolve the issue - change the x-axis under visual settings from 'Continuous' to 'Categorical'

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.