Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CamJohnston
Frequent Visitor

New Columns added to excel spreadsheet now appearing in Power BI after refresh

As the subject says, 2 new columns added to the spreadsheet which is serving up the data to Power BI are not appearing after refreshes to the data. Other explanations talk about re-importing the model or editing the supporting power query. In both cases, I have yet to find how to get to that functionality in either the desktop or web Power BI client. 

I would be grateful for any insights or help 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BI_Climber
Regular Visitor

Hi @CamJohnston,

what you could try is to import the same excel file into PowerBi again and see if the added lines appear after a completely new import.

To me, your screenshots and description look like you are not actually connected to the excel file at all but a Power BI dataset stored in the Power BI service.

Because of this, you cannot transform the data (i.e. grayed out).

Importing the Excel file from scratch should show you if this is the case.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BI_Climber
Regular Visitor

Hi @CamJohnston,

what you could try is to import the same excel file into PowerBi again and see if the added lines appear after a completely new import.

To me, your screenshots and description look like you are not actually connected to the excel file at all but a Power BI dataset stored in the Power BI service.

Because of this, you cannot transform the data (i.e. grayed out).

Importing the Excel file from scratch should show you if this is the case.

Hope this helps.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CamJohnston , Ideally in the new version, it should add and remove columns just by refreshing. But still, you can do it manually, refer to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0yLtceT0i4&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGYo50Ajmr4SgSV9HIQLxc8L&index=2

@amitchandak Thanks for the quick response. I get what you are saying but as I said previously I do not see how to get there i.e Power Query

When I click on transform here is what I get. No option to get to Power Query

Screenshot 2023-01-06 145502.png

When I click on data source I end up in the hub and here

Screenshot 2023-01-06 145609.png

Thank you for your help and getting this solved!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.