Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrHippo85
Regular Visitor

Text value if calculate DAX output is blank

Hi there

I am looking to impliment a measure to use in a matrix that provides a total count of a column based on today's date BUT also have it output a text value of "No Data" when there is no data available i.e. Blank.

Using a filtered value quick measure within a matrix produces the desired output when today's data is available:

Measure = CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table' [COUNT]),
    'Date DIM Table' [Today]
        IN { TRUE }
)

However, this just gives an empty column in the matrix when there is no data.

I have tried to add variables to the above DAX to produce the "No Data" output:

Measure =
VAR sum_quantity = CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table'[COUNT]),
    'Date DIM Table'[Today]
        IN { TRUE }
)
VAR sum_quantity_blank = IF(sum_quantity = BLANK(), "No Data", sum_quantity)
RETURN sum_quantity_blank

However, this does not work, as I get an error message saying that I "Cannot convert value "No Data" of type text to type integer/date"

This seems to be a really simple fix, but can't seem to find anything on this to resolve it.

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Cheers
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure = IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } ), "No Data")

This should work

Hi there

Thanks for your quick reply, however, I get an error when I use this saying that too many arguments were passed to the ISBLANK function?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, should be an extra bracket to close the calculate:

Measure = IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } )), "No Data")

Hi again

This seems to be working partly (so am getting "No Data" showing when there is no data) but nothing when there is.

Is this because I have not provided a result if true statement in the IF clause? If so, I am assuming that I would just need to do the following?

Measure = IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } ), "No Data", CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.