Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MrHippo85
Regular Visitor

Text value if calculate DAX output is blank

Hi there

I am looking to impliment a measure to use in a matrix that provides a total count of a column based on today's date BUT also have it output a text value of "No Data" when there is no data available i.e. Blank.

Using a filtered value quick measure within a matrix produces the desired output when today's data is available:

Measure = CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table' [COUNT]),
    'Date DIM Table' [Today]
        IN { TRUE }
)

However, this just gives an empty column in the matrix when there is no data.

I have tried to add variables to the above DAX to produce the "No Data" output:

Measure =
VAR sum_quantity = CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table'[COUNT]),
    'Date DIM Table'[Today]
        IN { TRUE }
)
VAR sum_quantity_blank = IF(sum_quantity = BLANK(), "No Data", sum_quantity)
RETURN sum_quantity_blank

However, this does not work, as I get an error message saying that I "Cannot convert value "No Data" of type text to type integer/date"

This seems to be a really simple fix, but can't seem to find anything on this to resolve it.

Any help would be massively appreciated!
Cheers
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure = IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } ), "No Data")

This should work

Hi there

Thanks for your quick reply, however, I get an error when I use this saying that too many arguments were passed to the ISBLANK function?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, should be an extra bracket to close the calculate:

Measure = IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } )), "No Data")

Hi again

This seems to be working partly (so am getting "No Data" showing when there is no data) but nothing when there is.

Is this because I have not provided a result if true statement in the IF clause? If so, I am assuming that I would just need to do the following?

Measure = IF(ISBLANK(CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } ), "No Data", CALCULATE( SUM('Table' [COUNT]), 'Date DIM Table' [Today] IN { TRUE } )

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.