Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
818 REPLIES 818
lasersharks
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Two bits of feedback from me. The whole red areas below should be clickable to close the panes.

lasersharks_0-1711699137874.png

The icons below should support mouse hover to allow the use the hover over the icon, open the pane, select what they need and then close again on mouse out.

lasersharks_1-1711699152927.png

gtmoten
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I feel your pain brother! Esepcially with #1.... OMG, every trivial Windows app for the past 3 decades can remember the state of the UI. It's especially relevant nowadays with so many moitor resolutions. Everyone who uses PBI desktop in any serious manner will have a preferred desktop/screen config. It's not rocket science to remember pane sizes!

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I just tested March release, there are some welcome changes, but 2 fundermental issues remain. I attach screenshots below:

1) PBI still doesn't remember user choice of pane selection: from screenshot, you can see comparison before & after. User is forced to repeat the same selection EVERY TIME a pbix file is opened, which is absurd. Why this issue reported by many wasn't fixed? Why don't we simply have all the icons selected by default? It's much easier to click an icon to open/close a pane than clicking "+" to select it again, it doesn't save any screen space anyway. 

2) The "suggest a visual" icons appear on visuals even though user specifically unchecked the option. This is disrespect of user choice. User shouldn't be forced to use OOI, it should be an option to be turned on/off depending on level of comfort/expertise of indivisual user

3) Less critical, but why can't the "Filter" icon be moved to the same selection pane? Currently user can only show/hide filter pane from a very specific place on top menu, not convenient. It'd be much easier to put it on the selection pane. It is also completely missing from PBI online - there is no way to turn it on/off online.

I hope MS team could make more improvements soon.

2.JPG

1.JPG

GaryC
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

MS had indicated in a previous response to this issue that they had already locked in the March update before they were notified that the pane status retention had been broken. They promise that the fix will be included in the April update.

Got it, thanks, hopefully they fix them in April. I got to say March release is terrible, I used for 1 day, already found 2 serious bugs, I reported it in links below. It feels a "rushed" release, I'd rather they don't release it at all, but oh well ... 

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/BUG-Serious-issue-with-March-2024-Release-PBI-made-...

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Copy-Table-function-in-Table-View-doesn-t-work-...

@QC

I agree with all three of your suggestions. There was a comment on here that they are working on remembering your Pane Manager selections and it would be great if they also integrated your suggestions of giving us the option to remove the on-object icon from a visual all together and to put the 'Filter' in the Pane Manager as well.

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi Rosie, could we have an option to set column width numerically on both Table and Matrix visuals, perferably multiple columns at once?

They are the most common visuals for business use, currently user has to manually drag each column, it is both tedious and inaccurate, image a report with 10 table visuals each with 12 columns .. any improvement would be appreciated, thanks

SDittmannFleet
Advocate III
Advocate III

BE AWARE that the issue w/ the pane switcher not being persistent has NOT been fixed in the March 2024 release. 

@RosieL I don't know who needs to hear this, but this is ridiculous. It was fixed before the February release, people have complained about it having become a problem again, and then the March release comes out and it is STILL an issue. I should not have to uninstall and revert to the January release every month because the development team doesn't have their act together.

@SDittmannFleet I appologize for the inconvenience. This bug was reported to us after the March release had already been completed. It is fixed in the April release.

ryomaru0825
Regular Visitor

Can not choose whether the field parameter shows the values or the display names of the selected field(s).

TomGee702
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can I tell you how much I HATE these changes. I mean, now I can't even change the colors on a bar chart. What the F are you guys doing???

Lembasts

Will on object editing ever be a part of the Report Server version of powerbi desktop?

Thanks

David

JohnF1966
Advocate V
Advocate V

In the November 2023 update there was a feature to resize the 'Data' flyout (see image below). This only works when the 'Build a visual' pane on an object (on a chart for example), but it does NOT work when the 'Build a visual' pane is in the 'Pane switcher'.

Please add this functionality so we can resize the 'Data' flyout when the 'Build a visual' pane is in the 'Pane switcher'

Resize the data flyout.JPG

JohnF1966
Advocate V
Advocate V

I love the new 'multi-visual container format support' and the other bug fixes.

markyh
Regular Visitor

There used to be an option on a visual to show items with no data, but after changing to using On-Object interaction I can't see it anymore.  Is this not an option now ?

markyh_0-1708592072921.png

@markyh,

I see it when I right click on a field in the 'Build a visual' pane (see image below).

Show items with no data.JPG

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I noticed PBI Desktop has become significantly slower with pretty much everything after Feb. update: when I hit return after editing DAX formula, it takes up to 10s to update, try to do simple things like format a column from 2 decimal to 1 decimal, another 10s. It used to be decent (not super fast but not sluggish). Not sure if it's just me or not.

Definitely not just you, but I can confirm this is the case whether the OOI feature is enabled or disabled. All of the colleagues I've spoken to who utilize PBI regularly have also had the same experience. Every interaction and calculation which is in any way data related (which basically means almost everything as you stated) seems relatively sluggish.

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I think performance is a critical issue MS need to continue focus on, much more than UI. All of us as users want PBI to be fast and responsive. The worst thing could happen is MS make it slow and bloated in the name of "improving user experience".

GaryC
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Same here, thought it was me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.