Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abhi9255
Helper II
Helper II

How to set command timeout option

My query is taking more time to refresh and when i refresh im getting command timeout error .

So i need to set command timeout option in Power BI desktop but it is disabled at the moment how to enable it??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @abhi9255,

For SQL database, we can change the command timeout in Advanced options of  Data source settings directly.

ser.png

And here is the M code for your reference.

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("Servername", [CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 0, 35, 0)]),
    TestGatewayDocs = Source{[Name="databasename"]}[Data],
    dbo_Product3 = databasename{[Schema="dbo",Item="Product3"]}[Data]
in
    dbo_Product3

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abhi9255,

What is your data source? I take a Excel data source as an example. In power bi desktop, firstly, go to the query editor, then you can edit your M code in Advanced Editor to set command timeout. See below image.

22.png

Here is the M code for your reference.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("filepath"), null, true,[timeout=#duration(0,0,30,0)]),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"id", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

For the parameter, the values represent Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds. So, this setting represents a timeout of 30 minutes.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

I am using SQL Server Database as my source

Hi @abhi9255,

For SQL database, we can change the command timeout in Advanced options of  Data source settings directly.

ser.png

And here is the M code for your reference.

let
    Source = Sql.Databases("Servername", [CommandTimeout=#duration(0, 0, 35, 0)]),
    TestGatewayDocs = Source{[Name="databasename"]}[Data],
    dbo_Product3 = databasename{[Schema="dbo",Item="Product3"]}[Data]
in
    dbo_Product3

Regards,

Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not necessarily help! We are running queries against an MSSQL DB and no matter where these values are set, the flows can fail after around 15 minutes due to timeout issues. You may need to contact the DB or Gateway admin to adjust the settings on their side.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have many queries in the power i report, and i have also set up command timeout, But still when i try to refresh it fails with MSSql timeout error for one particular table.

Also how do you decide how much  Command timeout should be ?

asazure://westus.asazure.windows.net/ucmbusinessanalyticscube

My source is the above from analysis services. How do I change the timeout code there?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, what if Tabular is the source?

Where you can change timeout for PowerBI?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @v-frfei-msft 

I keep getting scheduled refresh fails due to
Before the data import for (Data Source Name) finished, its data source timed out.

Why is there no option like this for PBI desktop for other sources like excel?

Hi @abhi9255,

Does that make sense, If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case please.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.