Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

db042190
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

why does using web data sources require a gateway

hi i'm in the middle of a course and thought things werer really making sense.  but just learned today that connecting(perhaps refreshing) from web data sources requires a gateway.  that doesnt make sense to me when the gateway seems more relevant to on prem data sources.  can thge community explain this in simple terms?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In general a cloud data source doesn't need a gateway. 
However...

1) If your dataset or dataflow uses some on prem sources and some cloud source then they all refresh through the data gateway. This is because the mashup engine is running on that server and it minimises data movement.

2) If your cloud source sits behind a firewall that's not accessible to wider internet then one solution is to host a gateway on a virtual machine inside that firewall.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In general a cloud data source doesn't need a gateway. 
However...

1) If your dataset or dataflow uses some on prem sources and some cloud source then they all refresh through the data gateway. This is because the mashup engine is running on that server and it minimises data movement.

2) If your cloud source sits behind a firewall that's not accessible to wider internet then one solution is to host a gateway on a virtual machine inside that firewall.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors