Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kamalkirfa
Frequent Visitor

i need help

Hello,

i'm a new user of power BI, I will it use for work to make graphical visualizations and data maps. My Excel table contains the unit prices of a product sold by some companies, that prices are not real, it's just to test Power BI and compare it with Excel and see what can i do with this application. The Excel table contains also the name of Montreal districts where these companies sell this product. So, i want to present these data on the map and gaphics.

My problem: the "filled map" button don't work for me. i don't understand why? is this option not allowed for the free version?

my second question: when i try to import data from Excel, i think that power BI replace numbers with "1" , that make power Bi SHOWING ""COUUNT OF TOTAL PRICE" in order of "TOTAL PRICE" !!! I wonder what's the problem? i'm going to share here the print screen to make you understand more my problem. thanks in advancequeries editor.pngmap.pnggraph.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

your answer gives me the solution, thanks. i need to use the slicer and it's ok after that. thanks.

wishing one day power BI will be able to recognixe districts. it's important for me

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Filled maps work with the free license, you just have to make sure you have enough information for Bing to geocode the data properly.

For the other one, go into your data model and switch the data type to "Whole Number" or "Decimal Number" or do it as part of your query in the Query Editor.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

thanks a lot, it's ok for the graphic but what shall i give as information to present my data in the "filled maps"? power Bi is not able to recognize districts?

@kamalkirfa

To create a filled map, the location data should include Bing Map-supported geographic data, such as country/region, state/province, or postal code.

Best Regards,

Herbert

thanks for your answers

unfortunately, i'm not able to use filled map in power BI. i even changed my districts by cities but it doesn't work too. what's the problem please? what shall i do?region.png

@kamalkirfa

Do you mean the filled map visual cannot recognize the cities you listed above? I just have a try, it seems that the city can be mapped successfully as below.

i need help_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

your answer gives me the solution, thanks. i need to use the slicer and it's ok after that. thanks.

wishing one day power BI will be able to recognixe districts. it's important for me

You'll have to ask that on the Bing Maps forums. Power BI uses Bing for geocoding data like addresses, countries, etc. Am I correct that by "districts" you are referring to the 338 electoral "ridings" in Canada? My guess would be no, Bing Maps does not support those just as I believe Bing Maps does not support the concept of voting "precints" in the US. The new ArcGIS Maps functionality announced at Ignite might though.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors