Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dcdobbs
Frequent Visitor

Web URL Button

I have a Power BI report button with a web url action for an external web site Excel workbook. 

In Power BI Desktop with Chrome as the default browser the workbook appears in the Chrome download queue when the button is selected.

In Power BI Service using Edge browser the workbook is opened in officeapps when the button is selected.

In Power BI Service using Chrome browser there is no response when the button is selected.

What needs to be done in the Chrome browser for the button to function properly?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
dcdobbs
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the reply.  I will look into that.

However, I should state that I can download the file manually using Chrome by going to the website and clicking on the file.  If the issue is with the Chrome browser security, wouldn't it prevent my downloading the file manually or is it Chrome browser security issue with permission for Power BI?  Thanks again. 

Hey @dcdobbs ,

That makes me wonder "what exactly is that button doing"?  As in, when you do it manually, you are doing it differently than that button.  It may be worth the effort to get your network folks involved and try it with using a network tracer like fiddler and then diagnose what the issue is after you hit the button.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @dcdobbs ,

This will be in the security of your Chrome browser.  It is probably in the sections about getting to external locations/domains - found in security section, protection level.  And, in the advanced section of security there are settings that might be affecting this.  You also might need to put the site into your safe sites list.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors