Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kristenmcnelly
Frequent Visitor

User in multiple security groups

Hello! I have a user that is in 2 security groups. The first security group they are a part of due to being on a distribution list. This security group allows users on the distribution list to see data about people in a specific market. In this case, it would allow the user to see people in Tampa. The second security group they are a part of using their email. This security group allows the user to see people in Tampa + a few other specific employee IDs (not in Tampa). The user is reporting that they can only see people in Tampa. How can I have the second security group override the first one? Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Usually this is automatic. More permissive rule overrule more restrictive rules. There must be something else going on. Check your RLS rules.

The first security group rule is [User Information List.UserName] = USERPRINCIPALNAME() and the second security group rule is [Region] = "Tampa" || [Employee ID] = x... They use different tables. The first one is using SharePoint and the second one is using a PBI dataflow. Does this give you any clues as to what might be wrong?

"[Employee ID]=x"  - please elaborate.  At what point is that joined to USERPRINCIPALNAME and how? Are you trying to combine static and dynamic RLS?

x is the Employee ID number. It is not joined to USERPRINCIPLENAME. The first security group is dynamic, while the second security group is static. In this case, I want the static security group to be used, not the dynamic one.

oh boy.  Are the RLS rules impacting the same dimension table?

Oh boy haha. Yes. The second security group was set up as a test to see if I could add more access to the first security group for a specific person.

you can, technically. As I said, more permissive rules override more restrictive rules. But you're making the setup more complex than you may want to maintain later.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors