Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CROKat

Separating data from SharePoint List

I used the Integrate feature to create a Power BI visual using data from a SharePoint List. One column in the list is multiple selection people profiles. When this column is shown in Power BI, it combines the two people in the assigned column, but I'd like to keep them separate. Kind of hard to explain so I am attaching screenshots. 

CROKat_0-1695419839067.png

This is the List. It shows that K.S. is assigned to two projects solo, and one project with H.K. (who is also assigned one solo project). I would like it to show up in Power BI as K.S. is assigned to 3 projects and H.K. is assigned to 2 projects. Instead, it combines them in the report:

CROKat_1-1695420047103.png

Is it possible to separate them out?

4 REPLIES 4
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

Honestly I prefer connecting directly to the SP list vs using the "integrate" feature - you get more control of the data. If you use the SP Online List connector, it will let you expand the "people" data fields to new rows, get their name, department, job title, etc - it's much better to work with.

I did a video here on how to connect to SP lists that includes how to get people data into a dimension table so that you can interact with it in the way you're asking: https://youtu.be/LYu3wqb2Nx4?si=xxo34YYWcZ57htVM 

Yeah, unless you have thousands of users in your User Information List.  Expanding columns is an expensive action.

Yeah, the new flat architecture seems to help with this some - not having to support a massive number of subsites does wonders for keeping things to a reasonable size. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You would use Power query action to separate the list entries of the users (split column...into rows).

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors