Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mamsteroonie
Helper I
Helper I

Security on a Power BI Dataset

I want to do something that seems simple but I can't figure it out.

I want to publish a report to a premium workspace that has over 700 users.  However, I only want about 10 of those users to see or interact with the report.  Is there no way to restrict access at the dataset level so people cannot see the report except for a small group?

This is not RLS where I want them to only see certain data within the report.  I want the 10 people to see ALL the data.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, thank you for your reply.  I looked at the article.  This does not manage VIEWER access to a report, it only manages whether they can build on it, analyze in excel, or see it as a data source in another dashboard.  What we were looking for was NO viewer access on a workspace where a user has viewer access for all of the rest of the reports.  We were able to finally come to a solution.

Create a dummy role in row level security in power bi desktop.  So just click on any table, and any field and create a dummy role (with no dax or value equaling that field).  Then publish.  then go to security on the dataset and enter the names of the people that should see the report.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mamsteroonie ,

If I understand you correctly, you could manage user permissions on datasets.

For more details please check the document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-build-permissions 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi, thank you for your reply.  I looked at the article.  This does not manage VIEWER access to a report, it only manages whether they can build on it, analyze in excel, or see it as a data source in another dashboard.  What we were looking for was NO viewer access on a workspace where a user has viewer access for all of the rest of the reports.  We were able to finally come to a solution.

Create a dummy role in row level security in power bi desktop.  So just click on any table, and any field and create a dummy role (with no dax or value equaling that field).  Then publish.  then go to security on the dataset and enter the names of the people that should see the report.

mamsteroonie
Helper I
Helper I

How do I grant access to one report to 10 people while allowing the the rest of the 700 users access to the rest of the workspace?  This is not a personal workspace.  When I tried restrictiong permissions on the dataset, it removed users from teh entire workspace.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mamsteroonie 

As far as I understand if you only want 10 people to view the data then only grant those 10 people access to the report?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors