Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndresEsteban
Helper I
Helper I

Scheduled update with Postgresql source

I have a postgresql database as a linked service in Google Cloud and I use this database as a source for the development of a dashboard and publish it in power bi service.

However, when I try to schedule an update I can't do it and I don't understand why:

In the semantic model options I have:
-Gateway and cloud connections: You don't need a gateway for this semantic model, as all your data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway to improve control over how to connect.

-Data source credentials: When I edit the credentials and enter the username and password I get the following error: 

Data source credentials could not be updated: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'

Does anyone know how to solve this?

On the other hand, I have tried to create an odbc data connection and in this case it does ask me to set up a gateway, however, what should this gateway be like? Should it be installed in a Google Cloud virtual machine? I need it to be always operative, so I could not install it locally.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You don't need a gateway if the Power BI Service can see your data source directly. (For example if your PostGres database is exposed to the interwebs).  In all other cases you do need a gateway, and the gateway needs to be able to see your data source directly.  That means, yes, the gateway needs to be created in the same Google Cloud environment as your database.  Note that gateways run preferably on WS2019 VMs.

In this case is therefore the gateway is not necessary.

However, when editing the credentials I always get the error: 

-Data source credentials: When I edit the credentials and enter the username and password I get the following error: 

Data source credentials could not be updated: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'

Do you know how to solve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors