Skip to main content
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Resolver I
Resolver I

Scheduled Refresh Failure: No error message available, result code: E_UNEXPECTED(0x8000FFFF)

Hello all,


We have been getting barraged with a sudden onslaught of scheduled refresh failures for the past couple weeks. Projects are failing at random and throwing the following error message:


Unable to connect to the data source undefined.

No error message available, result code: E_UNEXPECTED(0x8000FFFF).


The error message is attributed to a certain dataset, but it is always random as to which one fails. Our datasources are a mix of excel files and access .mdb files. The .mdb files seem to be the culprit.


The same error occurs randomly in Power BI Desktop. The only solution there is to close and reopen the project file and then it will work.


Sometimes kicking off a manual refresh in the online service will be successful, but often it will just throw the same error message. When the next scheduled refresh hits, sometimes it will be successful. The failures just seem very random.


All our reports are set to refresh daily. Most of them are run off the same datasets. They drive multiple dashboards and are published to multiple apps so its really annoying when they start acting up.


As far as troubleshooting, we have updated our gateway to the most recent version. I've also removed all the projects and datasets from the online service that were throwing the errors and republished them. This seemed to help a little, but overall the problem is still there.


The project files and datasets themselves have not undergone any major changes. These reports have consistently refreshed fine for months. The problems just seemed to start out of the blue.


Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StephenK ,


Does this dataset  connect to a XLSB file? Please refer to this similar thread:


Could you please try to apply a Table.SelectRowsWithErros to see if there are some error after applying a Type conversion, please refer to this document:  

Best regards,


Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.


We do not have any .XLSB files as datasets. I tested all of the datasets that have been throwing errors with Table.SelectRowsWithErrors and did not get any results.

Hi @StephenK ,


Sorry for that,this error about access db seems happened frequently since two weeks ago, but we cannot reproduce this issue here, we suggest  you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user:


Support Ticket .gif

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City


Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors