Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cwilsonLUR
Frequent Visitor

Schedule Refresh

Hello,

I have been trying to scheduele a refresh for my dasboard reports for a few days now. I know that the issue is because I did not enter a data source credentials when i was first uploading the data. I chose to ignore the credentials, now i cannot find out how/where i can enter the credentials for the datasource as I now know the password. I have tried clearning permissions, recreating the reports and other techniques seen online and cannot find a straight forward right/wrong method for entering the credentials. I have included a screenshot below of the error message, any hep would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

cwilsonLUR_0-1670944751717.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @cwilsonLUR 

The "Data Source credential" is always used for the data source in the cloud instead of on-premise.

According to your screenshot, you can see that your data source is xlsx, the first thing to confirm is whether your xlsx is from your local computer, if so, you need to download the local data gateway to interact with your local computer resources.

An on-premises data gateway is a bridge for cloud interaction with on-premises.

You can download it in this website:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1671013560704.png

Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

For more information, you can refer to :

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And you need to configure the each .xlsx credential in this gateway, the detailed steps you can refer to :
Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cwilsonLUR
Frequent Visitor

@v-yueyunzh-msft & @Tutu_in_YYC first of all thanks for your replies, yes i have tried to edit the credentials within the "Data source credentials" tab but nothing seems to work. I know the problem is within the Archive tracker, but when i select edit credentials and select the privacy level settings to organisational (what i have the permissions set as on Power BI desktop), I get a loading screen and nothing ever loads up after i press sign in? I don't know if im doing something wrong or if this feature is blocked by my admin etc.? I will include some screenshots, any help would be appreciated. 

cwilsonLUR_0-1671007555039.png

cwilsonLUR_1-1671007851632.png

as @v-yueyunzh-msft  mentioned,  looks like you need a gateway. Or move the excel files to onedrive/teams/sharepoint, so you dont need to install a gateway.

Hi, @cwilsonLUR 

The "Data Source credential" is always used for the data source in the cloud instead of on-premise.

According to your screenshot, you can see that your data source is xlsx, the first thing to confirm is whether your xlsx is from your local computer, if so, you need to download the local data gateway to interact with your local computer resources.

An on-premises data gateway is a bridge for cloud interaction with on-premises.

You can download it in this website:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1671013560704.png

Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

For more information, you can refer to :

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

And you need to configure the each .xlsx credential in this gateway, the detailed steps you can refer to :
Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @cwilsonLUR 

As far as I know, according to the screenshot of the error you have provided so far, the problem you are experiencing is caused by the lack of configuration and the definition of the data source credentials you entered for this dataset, so you need to go to the "Data Source credentials" to find the data source that shows the "×" icon on the right, and click "Edit credential" to enter the corresponding credentials for them, let the data source definition take effect, and check whether the refresh was successful again:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1670982514230.png

For a detailed explanation and description of this procedure, please check this official document:

How to configure Power BI report scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Have you tried this?
Tutu_in_YYC_0-1670968228752.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors