Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

plai
Employee
Employee

Report lost after changing whom the content pack is shared with

I had an org content pack that I originally shared with the entire organzation. A team member has created a personalized version of the report from the content pack. When I changed the content pack to share with my team only, in which the team member is part of, her personalized report was gone.

Three things:

1. I know if I delete or remove access to the content pack, personalized content will be gone. But this is not the case. The team member continues to have access to the same content pack. This seems like a BIG BUG to me.
  2. Is there any way to recover the report that disappeared?
  3. Is there a way to backup a report? E.g. can you save a local copy of the report to the desktop or a different site so we have a backup of the reports?
6 REPLIES 6

1. Interesting. I'm guessing it treats the share to that group as unique. Sounds like the underneath mechanism deletes and re-applies access... Would be interesting to hear from MS, to have full clarity.

2. Not to my knowledge (ie, not out of the box)

3. Not currently from the site, I've been told the functionality is coming in some of the open forums when I've asked. Currently the only way to keep a copy would be to create the reports in the Desktop tool and then publish.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Regarding #3, what if my team members want to use my content pack? The only way to build report off the content pack is in the web and I haven't found a way to get it out of the power bi web.

It is an implementation process issue. You would need to start creating reports in Power BI desktop, then push to the site, then create your content pack. Then, all the updates you want to implement would start in the desktop and follow the same process to push changes. It is not the most elegant solution, but it's all there is right now that I can see.

In you specific case, it is difficult because you already created everything on the site. So it largely depends on how many reports you have out there, and how comfortable you are with waiting for the ability to save reports from the site.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I didn't start on the web. As the content pack author, I created reports and datasets in the desktop and publish to the site. But my team members who want to use my content pack and have their own version of the reports (which I think is the point of having the content pack) can only create reports on the web. But there's not way to backup that. I should put in a feature request for this.

Ah, gotcha I see where you were going now. The issue with what you describe is that the end user doesn't own the dataset or any of the objects... So, as your end user found out, if you delete the content pack or remove sharing, everything they did is lost. How do you reconcile that to allowing an end user to save objects off a Content Pack that they don't own?

It almost sounds like you would want to expose the datasource to your team... You could use a Group workspace so that your entire team could have shared access to the datasources and reports that you pull up into the group.

I think it will be reasonable to save a readonly version of the data source. They can't refresh or change anything.

Group workspace won't work either. Because 1) I cannot publish from desktop to a Group Workspace 2) sharing reports in Group Workspace does not mean it's backing up the reports or letting people save the reports off to other places.

Can someone from MS Power BI provide some recommendations and specially comment on the BIG BUG that I mentioned in my original post?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors