Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NewUser777
Resolver I
Resolver I

Report content creator access questions

Environment : Power BI Premium 

Can  report content creators connect to a shared dataset which is in a separate workspace without having access to the dataset workspace? 

If shared dataset is marked discoverable, I believe report content creators dont need access to workspace?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, it's the order in which you do it.

Giving a user Workspace Contributor also gives them Dataset permissions.

Giving a user Dataset Build permissions does not apply any role at all to the Workspace.  Add your user only to the Dataset permissions, and not to the Workspace.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Yes, infact it's ideally setup that way to me.  I keep my Datasets in a Workspace with admin only access and the Reports live in open access Workspaces.

Just make sure they have build permissions.

But giving another report content creator build access is like giving contributor access to the workspace where the dataset resides in ? 

No, it's the order in which you do it.

Giving a user Workspace Contributor also gives them Dataset permissions.

Giving a user Dataset Build permissions does not apply any role at all to the Workspace.  Add your user only to the Dataset permissions, and not to the Workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors