Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

adetogni

Connecting Gateway from Network A to Network B

Hi, I'm quite experienced PBI user and proficient in DAX but with networking sometimes I struggle. I've already used PBI Gateway in the past and everything worked fine but I have a tricky config that I want to understand if it's solvable.

Context
I work in Company A. 
The client is in Company B and currently uses PBI for their own reporting
The client has its own PBI Gateway, sitting within their B network.
I want to develop a report on *their* tenant (see note *1) 
However the data is provided by me and it's a Mysql (amazon RDS) sitting within my network A. Or, better saying it's in a network behind a firewall.

So this is the way I'm thinking it should work:

adetogni_1-1680190949670.png

The way I think it should work:

- the gateway sitting on client network has a private IP but also a PUBLIC ip of x.y.z.w (the IP that it's using to exit from the network)

- if i know this IP I can configure the firewall on my AWS cloud to allow connections from this IP only

Questions

1) Am I correct? Will it work?

2) Which ports should I open? The standard mysql ports?

3) What about authentication? It shouldn't be a problem of domains since mysql will have a standard mysql auth and the gateway will use this same mysql auth even if it's sitting on "B" domain, correct?

Thanks

*1 = the reason why I'm not developing in my tenant and share the dashboard with the client is that unfortunately guest users (i.e. users whose the db is shared to, "b" domain users) cannot use Analyze in Excel feature

1 REPLY 1
adetogni

(btw I'm NOT a "new user", I use to actually being one of the most active team of helpers in the DAX community, I had call with microsoft team ahahah the forum has changed and I got reset, seem so 🙂 )

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors