Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshing data from an excel file

Hello Power BI Novice here, 

I keep getting this error.

"Refresh can't be scheduled because the data set doesn't contain any data model connections, or is a worksheet or linked table. To schedule refresh, the data must be loaded into the data model."

I want to be able to have information uploaded/refreshed from an excel file. Is it possible to do this/how? Any guides would be useful. (I know nothing.) 

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Julianaz
Helper II
Helper II

I experienced the same issue - after Publish the excel table data into Power BI service, even though we get new dataset but there is no connection with the data source, say the local excel file, (it's like copy paste; there is no connection any more). The refresh action won't do anything; either we can't schedule the refresh. That's my reasoning. 🙂

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

In order for data to be refreshed it has to connect back to a data source.

Because your data is coming from an Excel file and it is essentially being copied there is no data source connection.

You would need to import the Excel file into Power BI Desktop, and then configure the gateway to refresh it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ 

I think that I currently am only utilizing the Service (it's in my browser) I'll have to speak with my Company IT department to get the Desktop version downloaded. I don't think that I can make the data connections without it. 

Presto_RCP

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors