Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

fhovey
Frequent Visitor

Quickbooks Online credentials

I'm logged into quickbooks online on Power BI desktop just fine and everything refreshes. I published it to my workspace and went to set an autorefresh and it asked me to log into QBO. I logged in but then I get this error message. It's the same credentials from the desktop. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [IM004] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failedHide details

Activity ID:1c8e67db-60c0-4056-90f5-3efe6e5afa5c
Request ID:4601c7a8-e9be-cec4-4eb5-36e26c348c64
Status code:400
Time:Fri Mar 01 2024 17:46:48 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Service version:13.0.22729.74
Client version:2402.3.18145-train
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
20 REPLIES 20
fhovey
Frequent Visitor

We put in a ticket in with microsoft in the beginning of March and we still don't have a solution. We were told to wait while they develop a solution. 

v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fhovey  @a_blue ,

It is been a while! There is a new development on the issue.

@DamienBI answered the related question and his related efforts are much appreciated.

Please try this solution to see if it works.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

This solution did not work for me. I don't have an ODBC Quickbooks driver

DamienBI
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I've found a fix for this using the on premise gateway. but will probaby work for personal gateways.

Find where your power BI desktop is installed and go to the ODBC Drivers folder. For me is was "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ODBC Drivers" however this may be different for you if you have the windows store version.

Copy the folder named "Simba Quickbooks ODBC Driver" (I made a zip file from this folder as we need to copy this to where the gateway is installed)

On the machine where your gateway is installed, go to "C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\m\ODBC Drivers\" (Again will be different for personal gateways). Delete the folder named "Simba Quickbooks ODBC Driver" then paste/extract the one we copied earler.

Hope that helps!

a_blue

I've had this issue the 1st too. Still unresolved!

v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fhovey , 

This issue has been confirmed as a known issue internally. Please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

This is still an unresolved issue. It has been over a month. Do we have any updates? @v-huijiey-msft ?

@fhovey - Please mark this conversation as unresolved as Yang's comment is not a solution. The on-premise gateway suggestion is a bad workaround and should not be suggested. The community needs to come together to rise these important bugs up to Microsoft. 

Here are my error details:

- I can confirm the connection to QBO works still using Power BI Desktop. 
- I have deleted the existing dataset in Power BI Service and re-published under a different dataset name to see if that would help, it did not. 
- I have tried multiple variations of selecting (None, Private, Public, Organizational under OAuth Connection Settings and they all do not work) 

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [IM004] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

@quickbooks @Quickbookpro @Quickbooksorg Maybe you can help here? 

Same issues on my end, online powerbi reporting refresh will not work but the desktop powerbi will work no problems. 

And all the credentials are correct!

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [IM004] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

I am having this same issue.  Is there any word?

It renders a lot of our financial reporting very difficult to use.

I have been having this issue, and using the information here have managed to work around it using a local gateway.

The issue is specifically connected to creating new QuickBooksOnline connections in the cloud. This connector still works fine in Power BI Desktop, and if you are using the (I think previous) QuickBooks (rather than QuickBooksOnline) connector - which can connect to QuickBooks Online - that still works in the cloud too.

To get this to work, I installed an on premise gateway and then created a new QuickBooksOnline connection with it. While this was successful, I now got a new error while refreshing the dataset I'd assigned this connection to.

To resolve this, I changed one of the Gateway options to allow "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through the gateway cluster" and this now seems to work fine. 

It is unclear why this connector has broken and whether it's a Microsoft or Intuit issue. It makes me rather concerned, as if the local connector option breaks then we're out of options for syncing this financial data.

v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fhovey ,

When using the Power BI service for automatic refresh, please ensure that the Power BI gateway is installed and correctly configured.

The gateway acts as a bridge between on-premises data and cloud services. It is essential for refreshing data sets that are not directly connected to cloud services.

The steps are as follows:

Select the gear icon in the upper right corner.

vhuijieymsft_0-1709519361118.png

Click new in the upper left corner to configure data source information.

vhuijieymsft_3-1709519428440.png
vhuijieymsft_4-1709519428440.png

After the configuration is complete, go to the workspace and select semantic model.

vhuijieymsft_5-1709519455844.png

Check that the information for the two options below is correct.

vhuijieymsft_6-1709519455845.png

For more information on setting up and configuring your gateway, please see:

Manage your data source - import and scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

When setting up dataset refresh in the Power BI service, make sure you select the correct authentication method for QuickBooks Online.

Edit the dataset settings in the workspace to verify and update this information.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

This is a work-around....but not a solution.  This is supposed to refresh in the cloud, not on a local on premise gateway.

Hi. Im having the same issue as this however my has been working previously for 2+ years and has only in the last week or 2 started getting this error. Nothing has changed my side. I didn't have to use a gateway previously but I have also tried with our gateway and it still doesn't work.

Thanks

I got this error when trying to sign in after setting up the gateway

fhovey_0-1709583543952.png

Hi @fhovey ,

The error message "Error while reading configuration file:C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway\m\ODBC Drivers\Simba Quickbooks ODBC Driver\QuickBooksODBC.mdef" means:

There is a problem with the configuration file.

Please make sure the file path is correct and that the file exists in this location.

If the file or path is incorrect, please adjust it to the correct location.

The error message "Unable to connect to the data source. Either the data source is inaccessible, a connection timeout occurred, or the data source credentials are invalid." means:

There is a problem with the data source credentials or they have occurred.

Please double check that the credentials used for the QuickBooks data source are correct, you may need to update or re-enter the credentials in the gateway configuration.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

But why would I need an on-prem gateway to begin with since QBO is online?

Hi @fhovey ,

Do you mean your dataset is on a cloud service and not on-premises?

If your dataset is on a cloud service you really do not need a gateway.

If your dataset is local and connected through Power BI Desktop and then published to Power BI Service, a gateway is required.

In your original problem description, the 400 status code indicates that the data source credentials are incorrect.

Can you make sure that under the dataset settings you have updated the credentials to the correct location?

Maybe you can use OAuth2 authentication instead of basic authentication.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

Yea it's quickbooks online. I've logged in fine on the desktop and the credentials work there. But when I push it to the service the same credentials don't work.

Hi @fhovey ,

The 400 error code indicates that the data source credentials are incorrect.

Can you make sure that under the dataset settings you have updated the credentials to the correct location?

Maybe you can use OAuth2 authentication instead of basic authentication.

These two cases may be helpful to your problem.

Solved: Refresh failed - Status code 400 - Microsoft Fabric Community

Solved: Status code 400 - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

It doesn't give me the option to select basic auth

fhovey_0-1710249296115.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors