Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GonzaloB
Helper I
Helper I

Query Database without SQL ? - Datamarts

Hi,

I'm getting data request from different areas of the business, and although we have everything in the database, and a complex suite of reports that answer most of the day to day needs; every time we get an adhoc request that requires querying the database directly we have a few challenges.

There is no in house resource that knows sql in the level that is needed. 

And we also need to combine different tables to replicate the model's behaviour so that we extract the same numbers.

Is there a way to query the model's dataset inside the service using a graphic interface ? That would be ideal, as it would allow us to maintain the model's measures and calculations while extracting ad hoc requests.

Alternatively, would it be possible to query the database directly using PQ graphic interface ?

I tried using analyse in Excel, but the probably due to the size of the database, the file keeps hanging.
I then tried dataflows but I could only export a json file, without any data.

Finally, I tried datamarts, but the PQ UI keep loading forever. 

A few things to note:

We have +5 years of data, most of the request require 2 or less years of data.

We have multiple tables and some considerations embedded into the model's logic - hence the ideal solution would be to query the model's dataset directly.

Is the cruel answer simply that we lack an IT resource that could help us manage ad hoc request as there is no workaround ?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GonzaloB ,

It seems to be more difficult to implement. Is all the data connected to the same data source via a direct query join pattern?

Can you provide the relevant screenshot information and describe it so that I can further answer for you.

Best Regards,
Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors