Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ismailc
Helper III
Helper III

PowerBI Pro - Trigger DataSet Refresh (SSIS, SQL, PowerShell) without Azure License "Adminstrator"

Good day,

Please help, I have powerbi pro and would like toc ontrol the dtaset refresh of the service app.

Currently the app refreshes regardless of SSIS jobs balancing/failure/completed.

I had a look at powershell and ssis component, registered the azure app etc but i dont find in powershell nor ssis external component due to Azure requiring Administrator approval. My company does not have Azure license.

Please any other way around this or another option? 

Regards

17 REPLIES 17
ismailc
Helper III
Helper III

Thank You Very Much All, I have logged a Ticket with Support!

Unable to Accept a solution

Hi @ismailc,

Did you get your problem solved?
Could you share the solution?

😉

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Hi @ismailc,

Is your issue solved?

If the issue has been solved, please share your solution and adopt it to help others.

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Hi @ismailc,

Okay, looking forward your good news!😉

Best Regards,

Link

ismailc
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

any update please, does giving global admin access require Azure spcae or license cost as my admin is not keen due to space/licening cost

i am under the thinking its only granting the app via azure access to the tenant

?

Hi @ismailc

You can contact MS support as:

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Link

ismailc
Helper III
Helper III

Thank You for assisting,

Both the above methods are the ones i am referring too.

In the ssis componenet & powershell an API is needed to be registered on Azure.

I have registered but powershell & component does not pickup the registered API

i come to the point where Azure Administrator is required to approve the API and i dont have the license.

My license owner said we dont have azure license hence why i cant properly register the API

Please help?

Hi @ismailc,

Here is the required scope of Refresh Dataset API.

v-xulin-mstf_0-1623393879064.png

So you need to add permission in Azure Potal:

v-xulin-mstf_1-1623394134375.png

Grant admin consent confirmation:

v-xulin-mstf_3-1623394240817.png

Please refer the official document for detials.

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank You, but im still unabe to pickup the the API using ObjectID or ClientApplicationID

I set the graph permission and even more permissions on the PowerBIServices as well powerbiapps

PBI1.jpg

Please Help, I really need to get this working

Today y datafeed failed but PBI scheduled refresh indicated the data was the latest as it refreshed. I am losing my audiance

Hi @ismailc,

Have you granted admin consent confirmation?

v-xulin-mstf_2-1623639603602.png

You will see the status as:

v-xulin-mstf_1-1623638669146.png

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank You for Assisting!

The option for me is Disabled/Greyed out > what do i do now?

PBI2.jpg

Hi @ismailc

In your case, to grant tenant-wide admin consent from App registrations, you need to sign in to the Azure portal as a Global Administrator, an Application Administrator, or a Cloud Application Administrator.

For more information, please refer to: Grant tenant-wide admin consent to an application - Azure AD | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Link

Thank You but my administrator says he is unable too, Needs an Azure account

How now, any other ideas please?

Hi @ismailc,

Based on my test:

I registered an app with user role.

PS: You can check your role in Azure AD as:

v-xulin-mstf_1-1623810922386.png

v-xulin-mstf_0-1623810865612.png

When i set API permission:

v-xulin-mstf_2-1623811022296.png

Then i log in a account with global admin:

v-xulin-mstf_4-1623811139809.png

v-xulin-mstf_3-1623811109700.png

It works in my environment.

If the issue is still not resolved, please contact MS support.

Best Regards,

Link

Hi,

i done the below and sent on to my administrator.

Replies says azure requires space at a cost > Is this True?

I dont think so, its simply granting access to the tenant via Azure

PBI3.jpg

Thanks

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ismailc,

Maybe you can use this SSIS component to trigger DataSet Refresh without Azure License.

Best Regards,
Link

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @ismailc ,

you can trigger a refresh with a Refresh API in Power Shell:

Announcing Data Refresh APIs in the Power BI Service | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

And here an example script:

powerbi-powershell/manageRefresh.ps1 at master · Azure-Samples/powerbi-powershell (github.com)

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors