Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GerritN
Frequent Visitor

Power BI free account password reset

For a charity organization, we made a free PowerBI.com account last year. We also marked this account as the admin account for the PowerBI environment.

This all worked like a charm up until recently. The password for this account is not working anymore so we need to do a password reset.

We tried passwordreset.microsoftonline.com but the account was not setup for self-service password recovery.

The contact admin option does send an email to our mailbox that a password reset has been requested, but no option to change the password.

We also tried the password reset form, but it is not recognizing our mailadress.

We also tried the helpdesk numbers 001-800-642-7676 and 020-500-1500, but these just refer back to support.microsoft.com site through an automated message, which in turn refers to the passwordreset.microsoft.com site which is not working for us.

How can we reset the password for our account, or how do we get in touch with an actual helpdesk employee at microsoft who can help us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Collin,

Thank you for the reply.
That also did not work, because it was the only admin account within our domain for which we lost the password and self service password reset was not activated. However Microsoft Support call center did contact me and they were able to do a temporary password reset.

So the issue is now fixed and SSPR is now also active.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestyprajna
Frequent Visitor

Even i have encountered the same problem. I forgot my password and not able to reset it now. Please help. I am contacting the numbers given above but could not connect with them. Please help me get out of this situation.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @GerritN ,

Just to confirm, the link you are trying to use is Microsoft Online Password Reset and not just "passwordreset.microsoft.com" , right?

Assuming that is true, have you tried to go to yoru Office 365 portal and reset the user there?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi collin,

You are correct. I mistyped the link and will update it in the original question.

The account we are using is not a microsoft 365 account, but a Google Workspace account with our charity organizations domain. And resetting the password for this account is insufficient as we can access the mailbox, but not PowerBI.

Hi @GerritN ,

I understand what you are saying about this being a Google account.  However, every Power BI Pro user (has a PRO license and not a free trial) has an Azure AD account.  I may not be precisely correct to call it an "O365 account" as much as it is an "Azure" account.  If you go to https://portal.office.com/admin/default.aspx#ActiveUsersPage you should be able to modify that user.  Let us know how that works.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi Collin,

Thank you for the reply.
That also did not work, because it was the only admin account within our domain for which we lost the password and self service password reset was not activated. However Microsoft Support call center did contact me and they were able to do a temporary password reset.

So the issue is now fixed and SSPR is now also active.

Hi GerritN 

I have exactly the same issue.  My account is the administrator itself and I need to recover or reset my password. Do you know how can I contact to Microsoft Support call center? 

Hi Gerrit!

How were you able to get a hold of Microsoft Support? I have called their US number and it just sends you to a webpage, which does not work because the admin account is the one with the forgotten password!!! (talk about giving people the runaround!)

Appreciate your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors