Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Gateway migration from original server to replicated server

Hi,

Iam going to do power BI gateway migration from original server to replicated server for that i have some questions could you please help me on answers.

Note:Any one have document for migration process please share me.

Questions:

1. Migration step do we really require as it is replicated VM?.

2. In case of Migration primary VM will be deactivated will it impact Migration?.

3. What is risk if Migration incomplete or faced any issue? How will you recover.

4.In replicated VM IP will be change and hostname remains same will impact any configuraton of Gateway?.

5. Roll Back Plans.

a)For failed migration situation what will be roll back plan.

b)overall rollback in case even after migration completion what will be roll back plan.

Regards,

Ramana

Mob:+91 8328234364

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Migration steps may still be necessary even if the destination server is a replicated virtual machine (VM). This is because the replication process may not include the configuration and data of the Power BI gateway. It is important to verify whether the replication process includes the Power BI gateway configuration and data, and if not, to follow the necessary steps to migrate the gateway.

If the primary VM is deactivated during the migration process, it should not impact the migration as long as the replication process is still ongoing and the replicated VM is active. However, if the primary VM is deactivated after the replication process has completed and the replicated VM has taken over as the primary VM, this could potentially impact the gateway if it was not properly configured on the replicated VM.

If the migration is incomplete or encounters any issues, there is a risk that the Power BI gateway may not function properly or may not be available. In order to recover from this situation, it may be necessary to troubleshoot and resolve the issues that caused the migration to fail, or to roll back to the previous version of the gateway if a rollback plan is in place.

If the IP address of the replicated VM changes and the hostname remains the same, this should not impact the configuration of the Power BI gateway as long as the hostname is correctly configured in the gateway settings. However, it is important to verify that the gateway is able to connect to the data sources and that the data sources are configured to allow connections from the gateway's new IP address.

Rollback plans can help to mitigate the risks associated with migration and ensure that the Power BI gateway can be restored to a previous state if necessary.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for Quick responses!

Hi Henry,

I have some question regarding If migration is failed what steps do we need to follow.

1. My assumption is can we need to install gateway again?.

Regards,

Ramana

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors