Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ncedia
Frequent Visitor

Power BI & Azure SQL Server authentication

Hi!

I'm having trouble connecting to an Azure SQL Server database from Power BI. I have created a service account in Azure AD that has data_reader permissions in the database, which works well to connect to the database when I run SSMS. But when I test from Power BI Desktop or online it does not work. I've tried to enter the login information in both Windows and Microsoft Account.

If I try to use an SQL account and the option "database" authentication it works locally, but I need to share my report/dataset online and setup an automatic refresh of the dataset.

/Jonas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ncedia ,

Please check if the privacy level in Desktop matches in Service.  And if it is private, please change to public to have a try.

Data source settings.PNGprivacy level.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ncedia ,

Please check if the privacy level in Desktop matches in Service.  And if it is private, please change to public to have a try.

Data source settings.PNGprivacy level.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

Best Regards,
Xue Ding

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors