Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Patryk_PL_92
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI App - manage security per report

Hi All,

I wonder what would be the best solution for my scenario.

I own an App in Power BI Service (with premium capacity) which has around 30 report, from what I understand if someone has access to the App, then he/she has access to all reports in an App.

I need to restrict access for some reports which are in the App, to only be visible by 2-3 ppl.

Where do I apply that security, is it in Power BI Desktop by applying some RLS, or is it possible to restrict that in Power BI Service?

I look for optimal solution to manage that permission level in PBI App, as it may change from time to time - more reports may be limited to those 2-3 ppl from few hundreds who have access to the App currently.

Would be grateful for any advise 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Patryk_PL_92 ,

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. You can configure RLS for data models imported into Power BI with Power BI Desktop. Update the app after setting up RLS.

You can refer to this document to configure RLS for reports Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn .

Note that the role of the workspace must be Viewer or RLS will not take effect.

vtangjiemsft_0-1663642818188.png

If you want to set dynamic RLS you can refer to Solved: Alternatives for Row Level Security to avoid manag... - Microsoft Power BI Community .

The second method is to put a cross-workspace report in the app workspace, at which time you need to give the user permission to the dataset, otherwise the report user will not be visible.

vtangjiemsft_0-1663654557700.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1663654575254.png

vtangjiemsft_2-1663654587160.png

You can also update the app to find Audio in the navigation bar to display different reports for different users.

vtangjiemsft_3-1663654900751.png

vtangjiemsft_0-1663665184317.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1663665207386.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Powerbyte
Frequent Visitor

Hi, have you looked into the new Audience setting in the app space? You can create various audiences to share specific reports with specific users if RLS is not requried. 

It seems that this is what I was looking for, but unfortunately our inhouse IT Team is still testing this and it is locked for End Users, so I can not use it.

For sure I will look into it, when it will be availalbe in my organization.

Thanks 🙂

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Patryk_PL_92 ,

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. You can configure RLS for data models imported into Power BI with Power BI Desktop. Update the app after setting up RLS.

You can refer to this document to configure RLS for reports Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn .

Note that the role of the workspace must be Viewer or RLS will not take effect.

vtangjiemsft_0-1663642818188.png

If you want to set dynamic RLS you can refer to Solved: Alternatives for Row Level Security to avoid manag... - Microsoft Power BI Community .

The second method is to put a cross-workspace report in the app workspace, at which time you need to give the user permission to the dataset, otherwise the report user will not be visible.

vtangjiemsft_0-1663654557700.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1663654575254.png

vtangjiemsft_2-1663654587160.png

You can also update the app to find Audio in the navigation bar to display different reports for different users.

vtangjiemsft_3-1663654900751.png

vtangjiemsft_0-1663665184317.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1663665207386.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is really interesting solution with this "cross-workspace report". I will try it out.

It seems that standard RLS or this "cross-workspace report" are the only valid solutions for me at the moment.

For sure in near future I will test the "Manage Audience" option, waiting for it to be enabled in my Org.

Thanks for your input 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors