Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jason_hill
Regular Visitor

Pie Chart Colours Keep Changing

We have created a number of dashboards and have pinned live pages for each of the tab from the report. When you first open Power BI, each pie chart is formatted with the standard colour palette. However, when you switch to another dashboard, each of the pie charts on the next dashboard show with a different colour palette so it's a bit lollipop. If you refresh the page for this dashboard, then the pie charts all revert to the standard colour palette.

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not working anymore

dexter2424
Helper I
Helper I

Actually what you can do is colouring the piechart or any chart with FX. 

My task was quite similar today, I had to give fix colours to Currencies. I have created a measure based on the existing currencies in the dataset: 

ColourPalette = 

SWITCH(true(),
Table1[Currency] = "USD", "#e044a7",
Table1[Currency] = "GBP", "#118dff",
Table1[Currency] = "EUR", "#12239e",
Table1[Currency] = "SEK", "#6b007b",
Table1[Currency] = "NOK", "#e66c37"
)

Once I've done this one, created a pie chart, but as you can see in the screenshot, there is no option for FX colouring:

dexter2424_0-1643901015769.png

So, I just changed the chart to a bar chart, and there was an FX option. 

dexter2424_1-1643901125609.png

Clicking on the FX option, I set the Format Style ->Field Value, and selected the ColourPalette measure, I have created. Once I saved the colour of the bar chart changed based on the ColourPalette. After that I just changed back the Bar chart to a pie chart, and the colours are staying as well. Also in PowerBI service, because there is an FX format in the background somewhere 😄 

Please mark as Solution if it worked for you 🙂

ACT
Frequent Visitor

Not good...Not good...I'm having the same issue. In this case, "0" are cases where something that should've happened has not happened, so I changed it to red, and switched the section that was defaulted red, and the rest of the colors remain the theme colors.

Power BI keeps changing the color that was originally red back to red when I reopen the saved file, which is...not good. It's happened on basically all of my charts in which I have done this, in different .pbix files. Smiley Sad

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jason_hill,

Based on my test, after we create the pie chart, the data colors are specified based on below properties.

q1.PNG

And both report and dashboard will display the pie chart in the same color in my workspace or my team mate's workspace after shared with her. So each slice's color shouldn't change automatically.

In your scenario, where did you create the report? Create it on Power BI Service directly, or on Power BI Desktop then publish to service? If in desktop, please share desktop version. It would be best if you could share more information for us to reproduce it.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

The report was created in BI desktop. The first dashboard you view in the BI online service displays fine, but when you switch to a different dashboard from the left nav, then the colours go screwy in the next dashboard. If you refresh the page though, then the colours correct.

The information in our dashboards is commercially sensitive so I can't post you examples here but can send them privately of that helps.

Regards,

Jason

Hi @jason_hill,

Please restart the computer and login Power BI Service in Edge, then publish the attached .PBIX file to Power BI Service and pin live page to different dashboards. In my environment, this file works fine in two dashboards with Edge browser.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, that works fine.

I am not sure why our dashboards are behaving differently. We are using direct query to pull data from Azure SQL but other than that we are just talking about standard pie charts with default colours assigned to the segments. They are completely different pbix files published to different workspace groups in the service so not sure if that has any bearing.

Hi @jason_hill,

The attached .PBIX file is created in Power BI Desktop version 2.39.4526.362. Please update the desktop to this latest version then create pie chart use Azure SQL database to see if issue persists.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Here's the steps I performed:

• Updated to the latest BI desktop
  • Created a completely new PBIX with a simple pie chart pulling data from Azure via DirectQuery
  • Copied the PBIX and just changed the connection to a different Azure database
  • Published those PBIX files to two different workspace groups within the BI service
  • Pinned the live page for each report into new dashboards
  • Open the BI service and opened the first new dashboard - the pie chart colours are fine
  • Switched to the other new dashboard and the pie chart colours are a bit whack. Refreshed the page and the colours are fine.

So, yes the problem still occurs with the latest BI desktop and creating a new PBIX with a really simple pie chart.

Hi @jason_hill,

I notice you copy the .PBIX, please pin the live page for the original report to see if issue occurs.

Also can you open the original .PBIX file and save as different .PBIX file to duplicate the report? Then publish these reports to service and pin live page to see if color changes?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

The colours are fine when pinning a live page from the same report to different dashboards.

I then used the save as method to duplicate the report and published those to the service and pinned live pages to different dashboards. The colours are fine for the first dashboard but after switching to the second dashboard, the colours go wrong again.

It deosn't matter which order you open the dashboards either...the first one displays OK but the colours go wrong with the second dashboard.

I have the same issue with colours. Have tried removing the pbix file and creating it again all to no avail.

Would be great if the colours match all the way through but at the moment I seem to have no ability to lock this down.

desktop

Desktop Colours.png

website

website colours.png

iphone

iPhone.png

I am having the same issue

Below screenshots.

Service

2017-05-18 15_30_42-Opportunity Report - Power BI.png

Desktop

2017-05-18 15_30_20-Opportunity Report - Power BI Desktop.png

rcalvo
Frequent Visitor

Does anybody have an idea on how to solve this?

Thanks! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

A year later and still no solution?

I'm having the same problem with pie charts and bar graphs.  I can't publish these for people to look at because the colors don't stay consistent on the same page, and it becomes very confusing.

Being able to set the color on a graph seems like a pretty basic function that should work for a program like this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Playing with this some more it seems to be related to using colors outside of the selected theme.  If you stick to the theme colors, it publishes correctly, but if you select a color outside of the theme, it may be changed after publication.

im not so sure about that @Anonymous I have been having the issues but have never installed a different theme. Is all just the default.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jason_hill I've actually seen that posted few times by few other users. I would suggest you submit it as a bug here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors