Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

id013
Helper V
Helper V

PBIX report doesn't prompt to overwrite older version on workspace

Hi,

So I'm trying to replace an older version of a power bi report on a Power BI workspace. The file I'm uploading has the same name as the one that's on the service but when I upload it, it doesn't prompt me to replace it? What other criteria does PBI use to determine if a file should be overwritten or not. 

I mean it's easy enough to overwrite it but when this goes to production it's going to be a pain to have to update all the permissions again since it's "new" report. 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Did you start a new report from scratch or download the original one from the workspace? Even if it has the same name, each report has a unique ID associated with it. So to Power BI it is a different report.

I've done this before and it allowed me to publish a report with the exact same name, which seems odd it would allow you to do this. I wish Power BI was a bit smarter and would force you to publish it with a different name and/or ask you if you want to use the new one as the replacement so it keeps the same unique ID.

In any case, I think you're going to have to repoint your links and Workspace App to the new one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors