Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DouglasBrito
Helper I
Helper I

Loading Power BI dataset in SQL Server

Hi there,

I need to use my Power BI (Service) dataset as data source to load data at SQL Server tables, is it possible ?
Can I read PBI datasets from SSIS ?

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DouglasBrito ,

If the dataset is from Premium dedicated capacity, you could reference the blog : Quick Tips: Export Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service Model Data In One Shot with DAX Studio . If you are just a pro user, maybe you could the blog which is using R might help you a little :Exporting Power BI Data to SQL Server .

3.PNG4.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xue,

Thanks for you answer, but I am pro user and my need is to export data from a dataset from PBI service (not desktop) to SQL Server.

Thanks,

Hi @DouglasBrito ,

Sorry for late back. I took a long vacation.

For using DAX studio, I think it only can be implemented for Premium dedicated capacity.  But you could use the feature of "Analyze in Excel" to export data from dataset to Excel. And then reference the blog: Creating Microsoft Excel Connections to SQL databases to load data to SQL Server.

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xue,

I need it to run  from Power BI service to run on a regular basis to populate SQL DB. So DAX studio, from my knowledge, does not allow this.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Douglas,

Did you get a solution to this as I am trying to do the same by querying the PBI dataset in service and export to SQL.I tried it with xmla endpoint concept,but SSIS errors out with "error in initializing provider".It seems like no .NET or OLedb providers allow this connection.Its very strange that i could connect ot other Azure AS tabular models but not the powerBI dataet in service.

Hi there,

You can used Get Data from Power BI dataset in Excel 2016 using a pivot table to fecth data and after a macro to create an output file as CSV. Running it as a batch command you can get a csv file without even opening the Excel file and click in a button.

Cheers,

I believe you can only do this when you have premium, when you can use the service as a xmla endpoint.

But no experience with that to be honest.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors