Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with row level security

Hi all,

I can't figure out this issue I am having with row level security - some members that I added to an existing workspace can view all data despite existing table entries. 

I've uploaded a duplicate of the report without any entries in row level security and these useres where able to see all data still when it was blocked out for others with identical table entries, so the issue should not be with the security table entries. 

I've checked workspace access and the users are added as "viewers" in the workspace as well as "viewer" without build in the report settings.

Not sure if there are any other settings I am missing? 

Not sure if relevant, but we just made the switch of the workspace to premium and it seems to concern all users added after this switch - but once again in workspace access these users have viewer permission only - security settings work fine for everyone previously added. 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Thumb rule: RLS will not work if the users have edit access to the report. They will see all the data.

Instead of adding the users into the workspace, it is better to share the reports as Apps.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, it's the issue I'm having exactly - the users are set up the same as all the other users in the workspace, yet it seems like the have edit rights. 

I've checked in workspace access and the user have viewer rights assigned, and I've checked in dataset / manage permissions and the user has viewer assigned without build - so I am wondering if there is any other setting in the workspace that could assign edit rights except the workspace access. 

The only thing different to other users is they have been added to the workspace after activating premium on that workspace.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Did you add the user's email or name to the security level in the dataset in Powerbi.com?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

When the user is not entered in RLS user still has global access, therefore I assume it is related to workspace settings - if I add the user to RLS nothing changes, global acces remains. 

It looks like the users have edit rights but I cannot find any settings that would allow them too, they are set up exactly the same as all other users. 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

The RLS is related to the Dataset and not to the workspace settings.

You need to manage their permissions in Dataset/Manage permissions.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors