Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlexHuang

Issue with refresh data from onedrive

Hello Everybody!

I am facing an issue to connect PowerBI Service to an Excel file on OneDrive for business.
I uesd onedrive files to create visuals on Power BI Desktop and the Desktop version can refresh data without any issues.
However, when I published the report to Power BI service and tried to refresh the Dataset, the changes would not reflect.
I got the following error: “Failed to update data source credentials: The credentials provided for the Web source are invalid.”
I guess it was caused by wrong authentication method, maybe I should choose Oauth2, but I can't find Oauth2 option in authentication method, it only show "Anonymous" and "Basic" option.

My question is:
1. Can I ues onedrive files to creat visuals and refresh in Power BI service?
2. Is Oauth2 option depend on data source type? How can I choose Oauth2?

Anyone had a similar problem and knows how to solve it?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @AlexHuang,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following link about use overdrive on business file as source of the report:

Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin:

I have chose  Organizational account in Power BI Desktop and able to connect with data.

Url should match the requirement.

But I only find Anonymous and Basic option in Power BI service.

Untitled2.png

1.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlexHuang ,

I have had some issues before where the url allows it refresh in Power BI Desktop but doesn't give the option to use OAUTH in Power BI Service. In my case it was because of the URL. Open the excel file in the excel desktop => File => At the top it shows the path where the file resides for example Microsoft >> Shared Files >> Folder click on it and copy the path => remove "?web=1" from the url and use this as the datasource. This should allow you to configure oath.

Hope it helps,

Kind regards
Joren Venema

Data & Analytics Consultant
If this reply solved your question be sure to mark this post as the solution to help others find the answer more easily. 

Hi Joren: Thank you very much! I have removed "?web=1" and url ends with ".xlsx", I can connect data in Power BI Desktop. But still can't find Oauth2 option in Power BI service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors