Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rolf1994
Helper II
Helper II

Date format doesn't reflect date settings in operating system

Hi,

I have added a date to my Power BI report. According to this message it should show me the date in my operating system if you see an asterisk (*):

1.png

Both the General Date and the m/d/yyyy option show an asterisk (*).:

2.png

I have 2 measures with a date, one is formatted as General Date, one is formatted as m/d/yyyy. In Power BI Desktop this is showing me correctly how it should be:

3.png

When I open the report in Power BI Service on a device that has European dateformat settings (d/m/yyyy) I would expect both dates to be in this format. I expect this because both datetime format options have an asterisk (*) as shown in the 2nd image. But when I open the report it shows me this:

4.png

As you can see, only the General Date reflects the date of my operating system, the m/d/yyyy didn’t.

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rolf1994,

I think you are using formatting function to convert your records values as specific date format, right?
For this scenario, these files will convert your date values to text formault which service can't change its format. (current power bi service only support UTC date values, but it does not affect the fields that formatted as text values)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi rolf1994,

I have a few questions for you:

1. What is the language in the BROWSER - not the OS?

a.  Is that set to the same thing as the Power BI file?

b. If it wasn't, and you changed it, did that fix it?

2. Are you using a measure that has a format command in it that might be overriding the version you are expecting?

3. Is this a live connection or DirectQuery?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors