Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GMichaud
Helper I
Helper I

Issue with RLS on the new version of application

Hello community,

I'm experiencing an issue with the new version of the application. I created a brand new workspace for users to consult their individual data and not the one for the whole team, as I did many times before in the past and it worked perfectly, but this time, the RLS dosn't kick in.

I checked with my other applications that are still in the old version and they work fine.

Am I missing something?

The user with whom I make the tests is able to see the data of the entire team even though I add him to one of the RLS roles I created, which by the way works as intended if I preview it in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks and have a great day.

8 REPLIES 8
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GMichaud 

If you only share the report with RLS to the users , can RLS work for them ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yetao1-msft,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "if you only share the report with RLS to the users". Could you specify the method?

Hi @GMichaud 

Share the report directly to the users , not in app . Then judge whether the RLS works .

Ailsamsft_0-1664417696027.png

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yetao1-msft,

I finally found the source of the problem. My report was connected to a published dataset, so it did not have any data imported, that is why the RLS didn't work. Once I imported the data inside the report instead of connecting it to a published dataset on powerbi.com, the RLS kicked in.

Do you know if this is an intended feature or if it's just a major flaw in the Power BI Service? Is this a known issue? Anything published on the matter?

Thanks and have a great day.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GMichaud 

When you share the app to these users , what permissions you grant them ? If you grant them build permission , RLS will not work .

Ailsamsft_0-1663638229992.png

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

No such persmissions are granted, user has no permissions on the workspace and RLS still doesn't work. Is there a new particularity in the new version of the application that I don't know of?

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

What permissions does the users in question have directly on the workspace (if any). If it's anything higher than viewer RLS won't ever kick in.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

User has no permissions on the workspace, only on the application.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors