Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Olbu
Helper I
Helper I

How to check if a report is based on a Sharepoint-PBIX-File

We have imported files from SharePoint Online into the Power BI. So when the report at SharePoint will be changed also the report at PBI Workspace will be changed.

How could we identify whether a report is connected to SharePoint or not? (Our reports are mainly using Shared-Datasets, so looking at the dataset (Onedrive Refresh) is no option)

Someone an idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Olbu
Helper I
Helper I

For your interest: Because I got no answer here, I contacted MS Support. 

The Result is, that it in't possible at PBI Service to decide, if a report is connected to SharePoint or not. The only possibility seems to be to analyze the PBI Audit Logs, because there are different entries for report which are connected to SharePoint.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sagarsankhe
Frequent Visitor

@Olbu 
You can use Power BI REST API's GET IMPORTS operation. There it showed me Source: SharePoint for the report files that I created using SharePoint team path.

Sample get request: 

1. GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{groupId}/imports/{importId}

This one needs you to know importId beforehand. Else you can use below to know all imports within a workspace

2. GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/imports

Sample output I got: 

{
"id":<shows import id here>,"importState":"Succeeded","createdDateTime":"2022-07-21T06:14:08.363Z","updatedDateTime":"2022-07-21T07:06:28.82Z","name":"test report.pbix","connectionType":"import","source":"SharePoint","datasets":[],"reports":[
{"id":<shows report id here>,"reportType":"PowerBIReport","name":"test report","webUrl":"https://app.powerbi.com/groups/<group id>/reports/>report id>","embedUrl":"<shows embed url here>","isPbixLiveConnect":true,"users":[
],"subscriptions":[]}],"dataflows":[]
}

Microsoft documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/imports/get-import

Olbu
Helper I
Helper I

For your interest: Because I got no answer here, I contacted MS Support. 

The Result is, that it in't possible at PBI Service to decide, if a report is connected to SharePoint or not. The only possibility seems to be to analyze the PBI Audit Logs, because there are different entries for report which are connected to SharePoint.

You can use the lineage view to trace all the data sources used by your Power BI report.

When you open the workspace there is an option called [View] next to the [Settings] tab, the default option is 'view' but if you change this to 'Lineage' you will see the flow of data from data sources through to the reports.

Sorry, I'm not sure, if my problem is correct understood, because lineage doesn't help. It shows me only on which Shared-Dataset this report is based:

Olbu_0-1641532054580.png

This isn't my problem. When you are at PowerBI Service you are able to connect a report to SharePoint. So you must only update the report at SharePoint and then automatically the report at PowerBI Service will be updated.

Olbu_1-1641532244453.png

Olbu_2-1641532258687.png

Olbu_4-1641532513388.png

Olbu_6-1641532774028.png

If this done, then ever this report at SharePoint is updated, then the report at PowerBI Workspace will be updated after a few minutes.

But we have a lot of reports and some are directly published to PowerBI-Service and some are "connected" to SharePoint. The question is, how could identify that a report is connected to SharePoint.

If you would publish a report including a dataset to PowerBI Service you could see at the dataset, if it is connected to SharePoint, because at the settings there is an option:

Olbu_7-1641533128678.png

But in our case we are using Shared-Datasets and this is the same for reports which are directly published to PBI Service or connected to SharePoint. How could I see, that a report is linked/connected to SharePoint?

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Olbu 

If you have edit permission on your original data source, you can determine it by changing  a record of the original data source and comparing it with the data after the report is refreshed.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

My problem isn't to identify the dataset. I have to know, if this report is linked to SharePoint. (More details at my answer to MikeJohnsonZA

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors