Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JVes

How to change file location in One Drive for current dataset in Power Bi Online

I've been using an excel data source, located in One Drive without issue for several months. Recently I discovered an issue with the file so I replaced it with a backup. Power Bi Online no longer refreshes. I cannot figure out how to re-link the dataset to the new file. The data is the exact same and the file name is the same as the old file. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JVes 

Unlike a dataset refresh during which Power BI imports data from a data source into a dataset, OneDrive refresh synchronizes datasets and reports with their source files. By default, Power BI checks about every hour if a dataset connected to a file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online requires synchronization.

Power BI performs refresh based on an item ID in OneDrive, so be thoughtful when considering updates versus replacement. When you set a OneDrive file as the data source, Power BI references the item ID of the file when it performs the refresh. Consider the following scenario: you have a master file A and a production copy of that file B, and you configure OneDrive refresh for file B. If you then copy file A over file B, the copy operation deletes the old file B and creates a new file B with a different item ID, which breaks OneDrive refresh. To avoid that situation, you can instead upload and replace file B, which keeps its same item ID.

You can also refer to the following documents.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#onedrive-refresh 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/connect-data/service-excel-workbook-files#where-your-workbook-fi... 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @JVes 

Unlike a dataset refresh during which Power BI imports data from a data source into a dataset, OneDrive refresh synchronizes datasets and reports with their source files. By default, Power BI checks about every hour if a dataset connected to a file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online requires synchronization.

Power BI performs refresh based on an item ID in OneDrive, so be thoughtful when considering updates versus replacement. When you set a OneDrive file as the data source, Power BI references the item ID of the file when it performs the refresh. Consider the following scenario: you have a master file A and a production copy of that file B, and you configure OneDrive refresh for file B. If you then copy file A over file B, the copy operation deletes the old file B and creates a new file B with a different item ID, which breaks OneDrive refresh. To avoid that situation, you can instead upload and replace file B, which keeps its same item ID.

You can also refer to the following documents.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#onedrive-refresh 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/connect-data/service-excel-workbook-files#where-your-workbook-fi... 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-zhangti.

Thank you for your response. Since I already replace the file with the new one, is there a way to change the ID on the new file to match the old? I spent weeks building reports and really want to avoid starting over.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors