Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sb991986
Helper I
Helper I

Get Refresh History for all workspaces via API

Hi,

On my tenant, I'm Power BI administrator and Capacity administrator. But I am not administrator on each Workspace.

I need to see all refresh duration of all datasets of my power BI (both premium & non premium), even if I'm not administrator on all workspaces.

I tried to get history refresh using the API "Datasets - Get Refresh History In Group", but it seems that I can not get history of datasets refresh  that I'm not the Workspace Administrator.

Is there a way to get all history refresh without being workspace Administrator? Because I'm Power BI administrator and Capacity administrator on my tenant. 

Thanks for your feedback

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sb991986

Here is the powershell script that you can use in conjunction with the REST API to get the refresh history of all workspaces.

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount

$Workspaces = Get-PowerBIWorkspace

foreach($workspace in $Workspaces)
{

$DataSets = Get-PowerBIDataset -WorkspaceId $workspace.Id | where {$_.isRefreshable -eq $true}
foreach($dataset in $DataSets)
{

$URI = "groups/" + $workspace.id + "/datasets/" + $dataset.id + "/refreshes"
#$OutFile = $ExportFolder + '\' + $workspace.Name + '-' + $dataset.Name + '.json'
$Results = Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url $URI -Method Get | ConvertFrom-Json

foreach($result in $Results.value)
{
$errorDetails = $result.serviceExceptionJson | ConvertFrom-Json -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$row = New-Object psobject
$row | Add-Member -Name "Workspace" -Value $workspace.Name -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "Dataset" -Value $dataset.Name -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "refreshType" -Value $result.refreshType -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "startTime" -Value $result.startTime -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "endTime" -Value $result.endTime -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "status" -Value $result.status -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "errorCode" -Value $errorDetails.errorCode -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "errorDescription" -Value $errorDetails.errorDescription -MemberType NoteProperty
Write-Host $row
}

}

}

Here is the output:

v-xulin-mstf_0-1623142981298.png

Hope it helps.😉

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
sb991986
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you. This has been resolved.

Hi,

How did you resolve it?

I have the same issue, I can only get refresh history for workspaces I have access to, although I'm PBI Administrator.

Thank you,

WJ

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sb991986

Is your issue solved?

If the issue has been solved, please adopt your solution to help others.

Thanks! 😉

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sb991986

Here is the powershell script that you can use in conjunction with the REST API to get the refresh history of all workspaces.

Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount

$Workspaces = Get-PowerBIWorkspace

foreach($workspace in $Workspaces)
{

$DataSets = Get-PowerBIDataset -WorkspaceId $workspace.Id | where {$_.isRefreshable -eq $true}
foreach($dataset in $DataSets)
{

$URI = "groups/" + $workspace.id + "/datasets/" + $dataset.id + "/refreshes"
#$OutFile = $ExportFolder + '\' + $workspace.Name + '-' + $dataset.Name + '.json'
$Results = Invoke-PowerBIRestMethod -Url $URI -Method Get | ConvertFrom-Json

foreach($result in $Results.value)
{
$errorDetails = $result.serviceExceptionJson | ConvertFrom-Json -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

$row = New-Object psobject
$row | Add-Member -Name "Workspace" -Value $workspace.Name -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "Dataset" -Value $dataset.Name -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "refreshType" -Value $result.refreshType -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "startTime" -Value $result.startTime -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "endTime" -Value $result.endTime -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "status" -Value $result.status -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "errorCode" -Value $errorDetails.errorCode -MemberType NoteProperty
$row | Add-Member -Name "errorDescription" -Value $errorDetails.errorDescription -MemberType NoteProperty
Write-Host $row
}

}

}

Here is the output:

v-xulin-mstf_0-1623142981298.png

Hope it helps.😉

Best Regards,
Link

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, the only way to get all that data is being Power Bi Administrator. It's not necessary for you to be Workspace administrator. There are API Requests that onle the Administrator can do. You can use these two requests first:

Get all workspaces in the tenant:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/groups_getgroupsasadmin

Get all the datasets in a workspace

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/datasets_getdatasetsingroupasadmin

Once you get all workspaces you can get all the datasets inside them. At the end you can use the get request of the historic refreshes for each dataset.

You will probably need to write a script. 

I hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Install the following modules using Windows Powershell ISE if you are new to powershell. Above script works only after these two modules are installed.

Install modules.JPG

You can also produce csv file by commenting out and adding following code 

#Write-Host $row
$row | Export-CSV C:\Users\Output\refresh.csv -Append

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors