Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

boddydan
Frequent Visitor

Error due to a query that doesn't exist

Hi everyone,

I've successfully published my dashboard to the service and need to add my database credentials to view my visuals, however keep on getting the error:

'You can't schedule refresh for this dataset because the following data sources currently don't support refresh:

• Data source for Query1'

when I go to the datasets for the dashboard.

The query 'Query1' doesn't exist in my queries list, and I assume it's a bug. I can't enter my database credentials becuase of this error, and am getting quite frustrated as nowhere in my queries list do I have a 'Query1'.

Does anyone know any steps I can take to remove this bugged query? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @boddydan ,

This happens when the data source you used, within Power BI Desktop, isn’t supported for refresh. 

dynamic data source is a data source in which some or all of the information required to connect cannot be determined until Power Query runs its query, because the data is generated in code or returned from another data source.  

In most cases, Power BI datasets that use dynamic data sources cannot be refreshed in the Power BI service. There are a few exceptions in which dynamic data sources can be refreshed in the Power BI service, such as when using the RelativePath and Query options with the Web.Contents M function. Queries that reference Power Query parameters can also be refreshed.

To determine whether your dynamic data source can be refreshed, open the Data Source Settings dialog in Power Query Editor, and then select Data Sources In Current File. In the window that appears, look for the following warning message, as shown in the following image:

vyangliumsft_0-1644561101552.png

If that warning is present in the Data Source Settings dialog that appears, then a dynamic data source that cannot be refreshed in the Power BI service is present. For further information, you may refer to the following documents.

Troubleshooting unsupported data source for refresh 

Refresh and dynamic data sources 

Query-contains-unsupported-function-Function-name-Web-Contents 

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @boddydan ,

This happens when the data source you used, within Power BI Desktop, isn’t supported for refresh. 

dynamic data source is a data source in which some or all of the information required to connect cannot be determined until Power Query runs its query, because the data is generated in code or returned from another data source.  

In most cases, Power BI datasets that use dynamic data sources cannot be refreshed in the Power BI service. There are a few exceptions in which dynamic data sources can be refreshed in the Power BI service, such as when using the RelativePath and Query options with the Web.Contents M function. Queries that reference Power Query parameters can also be refreshed.

To determine whether your dynamic data source can be refreshed, open the Data Source Settings dialog in Power Query Editor, and then select Data Sources In Current File. In the window that appears, look for the following warning message, as shown in the following image:

vyangliumsft_0-1644561101552.png

If that warning is present in the Data Source Settings dialog that appears, then a dynamic data source that cannot be refreshed in the Power BI service is present. For further information, you may refer to the following documents.

Troubleshooting unsupported data source for refresh 

Refresh and dynamic data sources 

Query-contains-unsupported-function-Function-name-Web-Contents 

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Do clear your chache of your PBIX file and try

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors