Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Datasource column name changed

Hi PBI, If a column header name for my source data changed, how to I update PBI so moving forward I use the new header name. the top table was the 'OLD header' in yellow. This header is now changed to "ESC GM (qta)"the top table was the 'OLD header' in yellow. This header is now changed to "ESC GM (qta)"When I rename the header in PBI, I get this error,. It does appear PBI does not like the new header. I want to use "ESC GM (Qta)" moving forwardWhen I rename the header in PBI, I get this error,. It does appear PBI does not like the new header. I want to use "ESC GM (Qta)" moving forward

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You might find the reason and the solution here: http://datachant.com/2017/01/06/10-mistakes-you-always-do-in-powerbi-powerquery/

If not: Click on "Go to error" - this will send you to the step where the error occurs. Show Formula-bar -> copy & paste the code here for further analyzing.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks.. Looks like the steps are (1) connect to the file with new header (2) after error pop up, manually change the header in EDIT Queries. (3) Refresh data and PBI Desktop Report will capture will header 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PowerPaul
Helper I
Helper I

Just had this happen to me as I connect to a file stored on sharepoint. Problem is, many mangers have their hands on the file and make changes, one being the column name. 

My simple solution is:

1. open the query editor

2. Expand the formula bar, then start clicking the steps starting from the last step. 

3. When you see steps that start listing the column headers, simply find the column name that changed and make the update directly in the formula bar to the new name. This is normally in the very first step after promoted headers step and any other column that had filters steps. 

4. You can tell you made all the correct changes when you can click any step and don't get an error. 

5. Close and load.

This works for getting the refresh to not show an error, but it makes my visualizations show an error until I redo the edited column. Is there a way around this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is another way to fix this. Follow these steps in the same order.

1. Before you begin, make sure your excel file has old column name (EDW GM (Qta) in our example) and Power BI Tables also show the old name. AND you are able to Refresh successfully.

2. Open Excel file, change column name to new value ESC GM (Qta)

3. Open Power BI, click refresh. It will throw error "Column name EDW GM (Qta) not found"

4. Right Click Table Name in the Fields menu. Select Edit Query

5. In the formula bar, locate the old column name, it should be something like {"EDW GM (Qta)", type text} ... and change it to {"ESC GM (Qta)", type text}.

6. Apply and close Power Query Editor

7. Refresh

8. You're welcome!

JohnDahis
Helper III
Helper III

Manually edit it/them from Advanced Editor.

The box contents tells which column it's refering to. Change the old column name to the new one.

JohnDahis_0-1593055164105.png

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You might find the reason and the solution here: http://datachant.com/2017/01/06/10-mistakes-you-always-do-in-powerbi-powerquery/

If not: Click on "Go to error" - this will send you to the step where the error occurs. Show Formula-bar -> copy & paste the code here for further analyzing.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks.. Looks like the steps are (1) connect to the file with new header (2) after error pop up, manually change the header in EDIT Queries. (3) Refresh data and PBI Desktop Report will capture will header 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors