Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PedroNaves
Frequent Visitor

Dataflows refreshing problems

Hi, guys! I need help.

I've made 2 dataflows using powerbi service:
One connecting to the google bigquery, and the other connecting to an Excel file in onedrive.

They both work perfectly.

Then i created a report in power bi desktop, using the 'dataflow' connector and published it.

So, here are the problemns i'm having:

I separated the data transformation in 2 dataflows because one of them, the google cloud one, is really big and will be refresh only once a day. The other one, one drive excel file, is suposed to be refresh on demand by the user. 

The refreshing of the dataflows is taking the expected time. The google cloud about 15 minutes and the onedrive 5 seconds.

But, when i update the dataset, it's taking more than 10 minutes. It makes no sense to me. The refresh time when in PBI desktop, connected to the dataflows, takes like 5 seconds too.

My guess is tha somehow the online dataset is not getting only the last 'view' from the dataflows. But then again, if i do not update the dataflows, the dataset remains the same. I'm lost...

This might be relevant:
When i go to the lineage view in the workspace that i've published the reports and created the flows, the dataset of the report does not show as connected to the dataflows. Also, the dataflows do not show as connected to any data sources.

In lineage views is like this:

MyDataSet ----> MyReport

MyDataFlowGoogle   (literally no connections)

MyDataFlowOneDrive    (literally no connections)

Can anyone help me?

Thank you a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the response @GilbertQ , and sorry for taking to long for my reply.

I really tought that the dataset would only retrieve the 'last state' data from the flows, and not refresh them.
I'm doing some tests now and will be back with more info.

Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Happy to help!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @PedroNaves 

The reason it will take longer is because it has to get a the data from each dataflow, then import this data into your dataset.

If the 2 dataflows are merge or appended this will take additional time because it will have to load each dataflow, and then still merge or append them and this will take even more time.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the response @GilbertQ , and sorry for taking to long for my reply.

I really tought that the dataset would only retrieve the 'last state' data from the flows, and not refresh them.
I'm doing some tests now and will be back with more info.

Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors