Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

gbz1

Dataflow not refreshing, no errors

Hello all,

We have a dataflow that refreshed at 1am on 5/21 as scheduled, and has not refreshed since. Manual refreshes do not register either on the page. There are no errors, nothing to indicate what is going wrong. We did not alter the flow before the issue started, although I did make some changes the morning of 5/21 but it still should have refreshed earlier in the morning. I've made several edits to the flow, saved it, and tried the refresh that pops up there. Still nothing. Here is a not too helpful screenshot since I have no errors to share. Any ideas on what is causing this? I could find no mention of an outage.

gbz1_0-1716386328208.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hackcrr
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, @gbz1 

You can try the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Check data source connections: Make sure that all data source connections that the data stream depends on are valid and have not been accidentally changed or disconnected. If the data sources are databases or APIs, make sure that they have not undergone any changes (e.g., password changes, IP whitelist changes, etc.) that might prevent the data stream from accessing them.
2. View the data flow history: In the Power BI service, navigate to the Data Flow page and view the History section. Even if there are no errors, there may be some logs or messages about refresh attempts that may provide clues.
3. Check data flow dependencies: If the data flow depends on other data flows or datasets, make sure that those dependencies are also okay and that they also refresh successfully.
4. Check Power BI service status: Although you said you did not find information about the service outage, it is always good to check the status of the Power BI service again. Sometimes, even small service outages or performance issues can affect a refresh.
5. Check gateway configuration (if applicable): If your data source is on a local or private network and you are using a data gateway, make sure that the gateway is configured correctly and is running.
6. Check Capacity Settings: If you are using Power BI Premium capacity, make sure that the capacity has enough resources to handle refresh requests. The capacity may have reached its resource limit, causing refresh requests to be delayed or rejected.

7 Try to recreate the data stream: If all else fails and you are confident that the problem is not with the data source or configuration, then trying to recreate the data stream may be a last resort. Of course, before doing so, make sure you have backed up all the necessary data and configuration.

I hope these suggestions will help you solve your problem!

Best Regards,

hackcrr

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and kudos to this post to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SaiTejaTalasila
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Sometimes schedule refresh option gets disabledand it causes the issue.I recommend you to choose power automate flows for triggering your dataflows and semantic models.

Thanks,

Sai Teja 

hackcrr
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi, @gbz1 

You can try the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Check data source connections: Make sure that all data source connections that the data stream depends on are valid and have not been accidentally changed or disconnected. If the data sources are databases or APIs, make sure that they have not undergone any changes (e.g., password changes, IP whitelist changes, etc.) that might prevent the data stream from accessing them.
2. View the data flow history: In the Power BI service, navigate to the Data Flow page and view the History section. Even if there are no errors, there may be some logs or messages about refresh attempts that may provide clues.
3. Check data flow dependencies: If the data flow depends on other data flows or datasets, make sure that those dependencies are also okay and that they also refresh successfully.
4. Check Power BI service status: Although you said you did not find information about the service outage, it is always good to check the status of the Power BI service again. Sometimes, even small service outages or performance issues can affect a refresh.
5. Check gateway configuration (if applicable): If your data source is on a local or private network and you are using a data gateway, make sure that the gateway is configured correctly and is running.
6. Check Capacity Settings: If you are using Power BI Premium capacity, make sure that the capacity has enough resources to handle refresh requests. The capacity may have reached its resource limit, causing refresh requests to be delayed or rejected.

7 Try to recreate the data stream: If all else fails and you are confident that the problem is not with the data source or configuration, then trying to recreate the data stream may be a last resort. Of course, before doing so, make sure you have backed up all the necessary data and configuration.

I hope these suggestions will help you solve your problem!

Best Regards,

hackcrr

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and kudos to this post to help the other members find it more quickly

I checked all applicable steps you posted and nothing helped, so unfortunately I just recreated the flow and updated our PBI reports to use the new dataflow. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors