Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Mercovito
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow - Only headers

Hello All

I am really not sure what I am missing. I have read lots of things about Dataflows and Datasets but there is a point I guess; which I am missing.
I have three Excel files on Sharepoint. They are different files with different columns.
blablablabla.sharepoint.com/sites/HamburgerAnalyze/Shared%20Documents/Source%20Files/File1  .xlsx"

blablablabla.sharepoint.com/sites/HamburgerAnalyze/Shared%20Documents/Source%20Files/File2  .xlsx"
blablablabla.sharepoint.com/sites/HamburgerAnalyze/Shared%20Documents/Source%20Files/File3  .xlsx"

All I want is; to create a Dataflow and a user connects to Dataflow; they will see those three files in their query editor. That's all.
When I do that, very strange; only Headers of tables come to my Power BI desktop.

Is there anyone with a suggestion? Should I use a different setup, like datasets or something?
Or a different idea. I am close to losing my mind.

3 REPLIES 3
Mercovito
Frequent Visitor

Hello Christine,

Thank you. My hands up! I will swtich to Dataset.

I am already watching your videos as well.😊

Cool!! I forgot to mention that it depends on what people are going to be doing with the data - if they need to be combining it with stuff from other sources, then dataflow is actually better, even if it only has 3 rows. Lol. 

christinepayton
Super User
Super User

The data inside the files, or the files themselves? If you want a list of files and their metadata, you would use the OData connector (here's a tutorial for that: https://youtu.be/yeIQ9jKln_I?si=w-6W8FusCvRwbRUA). A dataflow would work, you could also just use a published dataset that the users have build permission on. A dataflow would be a bit overkill for this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors